News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trans cross member

Started by chero69gt, 2013-01-12 17:42

Previous topic - Next topic

chero69gt

Hey everyone, first , I want to say that I wish all of you a very happy new year.
Next, my question.  My 57 has a custom made trans cross member. I want to put the factory one back in, but, on the passenger side , two of the threaded holes on the frame are missing.
They look to have been pushed in leaving two holes about twice the size that the threads were.
  Anyone have any ideas on a fix?

Thanks,   Roger

clusterbuster

Without seeing it, I would guess you could have a couple nuts MIG welded into the frame. Enlarge the holes to fit the nuts if you would need to.

Frankenstein57

The ones with the flange already on them work good, gives you more room to weld. Mark

hiball3985

What ever method you use it will have to be flush with the frame rail, the stock crossmember is a tight fit.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

For what reason did your car have a custom made crossmember that you no longer need? Maybe be something I can use.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

chero69gt

Rich,  I dont know why the person who owned my car before me made this crossmember, it
doesn't make much sense to me. You are welcome to have it once I change it out, but, I doubt
that you would want it. They welded two ears on the the inside of the frame, on both sides, and then made a cross member out of a piece of 2 inch box tube. The tube goes between the ear on each side with a bolt going through the whole thing. The biggest problems with it are this.
It is mounted too high, not enough room for a trans mount, the trans sits directly on the cross member and is bolted to it. Also, no room to run the exhaust in the normal spot, it has to be run under the cross member.
                                                               Roger

sprink88

I wonder, can you line it up and drill a hole straight through? And a LONG bolt? anybody this this would work?
~Chris

RICH MUISE

I was doing some wishful thinking maybe you were taking out a really well made one for an aod because you were going back stock. Thanks anyway...I'll keep with my plans of having the shop that's going to set the 4.6 in for me do a custom tranny crossmember.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

clusterbuster

I believe the original bolts are size 3/8. Drilling a 3/8 or slightly larger hole straight through would probably work. If the hole already there is bigger than a 3/8's diameter, you could put a bushing over the end or a solid bushing for that matter. You can get long drill bits down to any Lowes or a hardware store. The long bolt would have to be grade 8.

rmk57

There used to be a product that worked like a rivet gun and would insert threads into blind holes or whatever else you needed threaded. They may not work being the frame is pretty thick but it may be something to look into. I think they were called thread serts or something lie that.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

clusterbuster

Randy,
I think what you are referring to is a helicoil. That might also be something to look into. The hole has to be a specific size and you buy the size according to your need. The Fastenal stores have them I believe.   Don

hiball3985

I know what Randy is talking about but my memory has gone blank as to the name. We use to install them in thin aluminum where there wasn't enough thickness to tap the hole for threads. A helicoil would require a tapped hole first.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Can't remember what they're called either its kind of like a pop-rivet with internal threads.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

Nut serts is the common name.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Thumbs down on the long bolt.  The frame is hollow and will crush.  Just weld a nut in.  Clean it up and it will work fine.  It does not show after the cross member is installed.