News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My motor

Started by Mark, 2013-02-17 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Quote from: JimNolan on 2013-02-19 19:30
I don't think he did that bad as far as having someone do it. I just got through putting my 410ci FE motor together and I had $900.00 in labor and $7100.00 in parts. I too like to build my own engines.
I didn't mean he did badly, I'm just not use to todays prices. Even three years ago when I built my 390 I was shocked at what I spent on balancing, block machine work and the 428CJ head work. Luckily I had many parts still on the shelf from back in the 70's and the total was only around $2300 with the small parts I had to buy.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I was going to post something about that engine looking ok in the back of a Toyota, heck it was probably built in Texas anyway. Both your cars are looking great btw. What are you running in the Galaxie?
I still have a hard time believing Ford discontinued the Ranger...seems like lots of folks liked the smaller size..apparently not enough anymore.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-02-19 23:06
I still have a hard time believing Ford discontinued the Ranger...seems like lots of folks liked the smaller size..apparently not enough anymore.

Yup, son-in-law and daughter bought a rice burner because the Ranger is gone.  That despite me telling them there is no such thing as too much truck.  They said the F150 was too big, I guess, she is 5' 3" and he is 5' 8".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

Forgot this little tid bit, he is most unhappy.  They drove it to our Thanksgiving get together from CO to VA, only got 16 MPG running 70 - 75.  He knows what my F150 does for mileage, 19 - 20 at 70 - 75, (4.6 3V / 6 speed / 3:55 T-lock) and he figured he would get about the same as his old Ranger did....but as Gommer Pile used to say.....suprise suprise suprise.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Mark

My Galaxie has a 352 with 3 on the tree,  The man that bought the car when it was new ended up in the service not long after he got it and it sat for 4 years. when he got back, he had to have a Mustang and didn't use the Galaxie very much. I got it from the second owner after he had to have hip surgery and couldn't drive it anymore. The bad thing about the car was the second owner repainted it in his yard so there was a lot of dirt in the paint. I could only stand to see it that way for about a year, then had to take all apart, sand it to bare metal and have it painted. The new paint made the interior look bad so it couldn't go back in the car, scratch windshield had to be replaced and so on----you know how it goes--still not 100% done and will never be

Mark

the little truck is a 4 cylinder 4 wheel drive 5 speed manual and the worst gas mileage that I have got is pulling my boat 300 miles to our cabin in the UP of Michigan at 65-70 mph =22.3 mpg. Around town i can get as high as 26 mpg. My work truck is a 1 ton with a 12 foot box that on a good day gets 10 mpg so yes I think some times you can have too much truck. I would bet they have the 6 cylinder in their " rice burner "

Ford Blue blood

Mark it is a six banger....you run to the UP on 39 or 41...going 70 hurts in WI...not so much on 39 but a lot on 41... :<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Mark

I run up 41 and if you know the road you also know you could get run over at a slower speed. :burnout:

gasman826

I was off your way a few years ago with 2009 Hot Rod Power Tour.  Liked southern Wisconsin but North Chicago in the fog...not so much.

Mark

North Chicago is about 45 minutes from home and is not much better with out fog !   I now have my transmission back so I have something to do this weekend

Frankenstein57

Mark, I'm about 45 minutes from Richmond, my friend moved there for several years. Perhaps we could meet at a cruise night or car show, do you ever go to Gus's in East troy? Car cruise every Saturday night, sometimes there are so many cars they use the high school across the street, :burnout:     Mark (from Wisconsin)

hiball3985

Quote from: Mark on 2013-02-21 20:10
North Chicago is about 45 minutes from home and is not much better with out fog !   I now have my transmission back so I have something to do this weekend
Looking good. Can you get away with running a road draft tube in Il. ? In Calif they would lynch you  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

6cyl57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-02-23 09:17
Looking good. Can you get away with running a road draft tube in Il. ? In Calif they would lynch you  :003:

Looking good there Mark.

I am about 100 miles south of Chicago, No emission test around here.
Some times I run open headers and slicks on the street here with
my other car.

Mark

Mark, I will meet you there sometime over the summer. I did take a ride out to see Tom Drummond last summer, then he showed up in McHenry on night. I hope to put some miles on the car this summer. Tom ,I'll try to be at Byron this year too.--- The area I live in we don't have to take cars in for testing, I moved from Ingleside (10 miles away) 6 years ago and was happy to find out we don't.      Mark 

57AGIN

6cyl57:

Even out here on the Left Coast we can have our fun.  I don't drive on the street with my slicks (actually M/T ET Street Radials, as I'm saving them for the strip), but open headers is another story.  Generally on the freeway or on some isolated stretches by the beach or Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station, I'll open them up.  It cleans out some of the exhaust system, is music to the ears and isn't a heck of a lot louder than most Harleys.  If you can't have the races, at least you can have the soothing sounds of a Ford V-8.  My thanks to  Doug's Headers for making some really good electrically operated exhaust cutouts, it sure beats the heck out of climbing under the car and undoing hot header flange bolts when you pull into or out of a car show.  It's almost better than being young again. lol

Bob
57 AGIN