News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear Bumpers

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-01-07 13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the reply.
I want to be crystal clear on my reading / understanding of your reply.
Do I read it to say that the rear bumper on  Custom 2&4 Doors are unique to those models AND different from the rear bumpers on Station Wagons, Rancheros and Sedan Deliveries?
Or are you saying that all of the above listed models use the same basic bumper? An earlier reply said they were essentially the same with the Station Wagon, Ranchero, Sedan Delivery version having an addition hole in the area of the license plate for the license plate wire to pass through.
Thanks for your interest and reply.
John

RICH MUISE

I understand your confusion...all of the above posts hit some of the topics, but not all topics together in one post....so here goes...
I believe what everyone is saying is that the bumper itself (for the Customs, sw, Ranchero, and sd), prior to having the oem bumper guard holes put in it, was the same for all models.
It is the location of those holes and the addition of a hole for the license plate light that makes the sw, sd, Ranchero bumper different from the Customs. The holes for the bumper mounting brackets should be the same on all models, as well as the brackets themselves.
The bumper guards on the sw, sd, and Ranchero are different from the Customs. The Customs have the license plate light in the tailpan below the trunk. The others have the license plate light in the bumper guards.
Since you never said what you have and what you're looking at for a bumper, it's hard to say if those differences would be a problem for you.
Hope that clears it up, and I for sure hope I got it right.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Rich
    You hit it right on the head  and got it right.  JA

hiball3985

When I think about it, bumper guards were almost useless except for pushing other cars which was common back then  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-01-10 16:38
When I think about it, bumper guards were almost useless except for pushing other cars which was common back then  :003:

That's right Jim.  In those days we weren't worried about scratching the chrome and usually the problem was a dead battery.  A new battery cost about $6.00 to $10.00 in the 50s.   

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-01-10 08:43
I understand your confusion...all of the above posts hit some of the topics, but not all topics together in one post....so here goes...
I believe what everyone is saying is that the bumper itself (for the Customs, sw, Ranchero, and sd), prior to having the oem bumper guard holes put in it, was the same for all models.
It is the location of those holes and the addition of a hole for the license plate light that makes the sw, sd, Ranchero bumper different from the Customs. The holes for the bumper mounting brackets should be the same on all models, as well as the brackets themselves.
The bumper guards on the sw, sd, and Ranchero are different from the Customs. The Customs have the license plate light in the tailpan below the trunk. The others have the license plate light in the bumper guards.
Since you never said what you have and what you're looking at for a bumper, it's hard to say if those differences would be a problem for you.
Hope that clears it up, and I for sure hope I got it right.
This EXACTLY the information I was seeking. Thank you and all the others that replied.As to what '57 I have......it is a Ranchero
Thanks
John