News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Unusual Rear End

Started by jseth83, 2015-10-11 22:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoosier Hurricane

That style rear was used in '49 to '56 Ford passenger cars.   John

Ecode70D

I agree 100% with Hoosier Hurricane John.   It looks like someone swapped the whole 49-56 rear end  unit into the car.   Jay

Jeff Norwell

Yes.Had the same rear in my 55 Ford.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

lowrider

Quote from: jseth83 on 2015-10-12 10:22
Thanks guys.  Hiball, that picture is a dead ringer (except for the superior condition that yours is in).  I think they did just change the whole assembly.  Does anyone know what else those were in other than '56s?

I think they used that style rear end to replace the torque tube types in full size cars whatever that year was. For an 17yr old kid, other than stripping out spider & side gears (don't know how that happened) they seem to be a good rear end.

Ecode70D

Back in the old days I used to beat on those old rear ends in the several 56 Fords that I owned.   I blew a lot of transmissions, and  never blew up one of those rear ends.  Bolting that U joint connection up was not fun.  When the 57s came out with the U bolts, that was a big improvement.     

jseth83

Thanks guys.  That one really had me stumped.  I'm planning to swap it out in the next few days.
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

jseth83

A few days turned into almost a month,but i did finally get around to pulling it out.  I set a Dana 44 in just to roll the car around and look at this one.  It was full of lube but missing the ring gear.....strange....
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: jseth83 on 2016-01-29 21:37
A few days turned into almost a month,but i did finally get around to pulling it out.  I set a Dana 44 in just to roll the car around and look at this one.  It was full of lube but missing the ring gear.....strange....
Way back in the days, I've seen people do that when they were going to use the rear axle for a home made trailer. Lucky you didn't hook a drive shaft to it and try to drive it  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2016-01-30 07:12
Way back in the days, I've seen people do that when they were going to use the rear axle for a home made trailer. Lucky you didn't hook a drive shaft to it and try to drive it  :003:

That's exactly what I was thinking, but Jim Is younger and faster than me with the keyboard.
     Those were a lot cheaper and more plentiful when making a home made trailer.
     I towed one like that from Mass. to California.