News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Unusual Rear End

Started by jseth83, 2015-10-11 22:05

Previous topic - Next topic

jseth83

Does anyone know what kind of rear end this is?  It had apparently been swapped into the wagon that I now own.  As you can see, the gears load from the front, but it doesn't look like any rear end I've seen before....no ID tag.  It's got me really curious....
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I'm not at home, so I can't compare it to mine or pics of mine, but it sure looks like a stock 9" to me.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jseth83

Thanks Rich.  For some reason this looked different to me.  The fill plug is on the passenger side, and where the pinion flange mounts does not appear to be as offset as the 9" ones I've seen, if that makes sense.
67 Mustang

hiball3985

From the picture it doesn't look like any 57 or later 9" to me. I can't see the bolt on pinion retainer yet the pinion flange looks like it is for the 57 drive shaft..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jseth83

Here is another pic from the other side.  I've been looking all around the internet and can't find a picture of something like this.
67 Mustang

lowrider

Looks like the type I had in my 56 Ford. Giveaway is the ujoint flange.

RICH MUISE

If I'm remembering correctly, the "way to tell an 8" from a 9" is if you can not get a socket/ extension on the bottom 2 pinion carrier bolts, it's a 9". From the second pic it looks like there is plenty of room for straight in access to that nut, so probably not the oem rear. Search Youtube for a video on identifying a 9" Ford....I'm not home, so I don't have access to my list of links. Edit...found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca85RyHKNzs
After watching the video again, it looks to me like yours is neither. Hard to say for sure with all the road crap buildup, but I can't even see a bolt on pinion flange.
I think from previous discusions here, we figured/learned Ford used two types of pinion yoke/ujoint retention designs.

jseth83

Lowerider, i think you're correct.  I've never dealt with anything before the 8's and 9's, so that may have come out of a '56.  I'm fairly certain this is neither an 8 or a 9....at least not the ones from 57 and after. 
67 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Check my edit..I added a link

hiball3985

Quote from: jseth83 on 2015-10-12 08:27
Lowerider, i think you're correct.  I've never dealt with anything before the 8's and 9's, so that may have come out of a '56.  I'm fairly certain this is neither an 8 or a 9....at least not the ones from 57 and after.
Agreed, it's NOT a later 8 or 9 put I think 56 was an 8. I'm not sure that a 56 third member will bolt to a 57 housing so possibly the whole rear axle assembly is a 56?
Here is a pic of a 56, maybe that will help. Fill plug is on pass side
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57chero

56 ford rear ends were a spicer type with a bolt on rear cover, it looks like a 49-51 ford rear end to me which had a drop out 3rd member. Does the rear of the pumpkin have a hump on half of it for the ring gear.

57chero

I guess I am wrong 56 birds had the spicer style rear end, not the full size cars.

hiball3985

Quote from: 57chero on 2015-10-12 09:28
I guess I am wrong 56 birds had the spicer style rear end, not the full size cars.
It gets confusing at times and my memory is bad, but I think they used the Dana 44 in T Birds and wagons..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jseth83

Thanks guys.  Hiball, that picture is a dead ringer (except for the superior condition that yours is in).  I think they did just change the whole assembly.  Does anyone know what else those were in other than '56s?
67 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: jseth83 on 2015-10-12 10:22
Thanks guys.  Hiball, that picture is a dead ringer (except for the superior condition that yours is in).  I think they did just change the whole assembly.  Does anyone know what else those were in other than '56s?
Glad that helped but it's not mine, I just snagged it from a 56 build. I think 55-56 were the same.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang