News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Reference Measurement Request

Started by Jaybird, 2020-01-17 09:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaybird

I ordered a set of Aerostar springs and some 1inch and 1/2 inch spacers. The spacers came today. They are the urethane Global West brand. They go on the flat side of the spring. They are beveled and...should fit. I?ll find out when the springs get here. I?m hoping for better weather this weekend. Currently in the teens and the car is outside. All the parts should be in by then.
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

RICH MUISE

JFYI.....the rubber ones I bought were a different brand and they were just a tad too large on the diameters to go over the spring. I hacksawed out a slice about 1/4" of the spacer on one side only so I could squeeze the dia's over the spring. Thought about gluing it back together, but didn't bother as it wasn't going anywhere.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2020-01-18 12:30

This what they look like... This is the 3/4" one I used, not sure of the GM thing, don't remember that.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-1705?rrec=true
Thanks Lynn, hadn't seen those before..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jaybird

I?m working through this today...trying to. I can?t stop laughing because the blacktop to frame...a wopping 3-1/4 inches. I?m documenting/photographing everything as I go and will provide info on the results. Wish me luck
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

RICH MUISE

Were there any springs in there at all, lol. My front sway bar is at 5.5", and I have to take my driveway entrance slow.
Any progress?

Jaybird

Wow..ok I?m back. I went way down the coil spring rabbit hole and just got back. I pulled the old springs. They seemed to be an old Aerostar spring that was uncut. I bought the CC850 spring as suggested. Spring on the right is what I removed. Center spring is the CC850 and the left is the CC850 with the Global West 1/2 spacer ( which I ended up not using). The spacer didn?t fit well in the spring seat as Rich mentioned. I had heated the spacers and formed them to the spring but it didn?t help much. Bottom line...I used the spring without the spacer. CC850 has thicker stock and progressive coils.
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

Jaybird

I had several sets of shocks that I have tried and ended up with a KYB 343127 that was an in shorter than the stock shock. Fit perfect and has plenty of clearance. I think it came off of a Dodge application
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

Jaybird

So I started out with 11inches from spindle center to wheel well lip. I ended up at about 12-3/4. The bump stops are shortened. I drove it pretty hard over some of Ohio?s worst roads and pushed it hard around some bends with no bottoming out or odd handling issues. Alignment is next. Real happy with the ride as well. Tops after bottom is before. Thanks for all the help!!
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

RICH MUISE

lalessi1

Quote from: Jaybird on 2020-02-24 20:36
Wow..ok I?m back. I went way down the coil spring rabbit hole and just got back. I pulled the old springs. They seemed to be an old Aerostar spring that was uncut. I bought the CC850 spring as suggested. Spring on the right is what I removed. Center spring is the CC850 and the left is the CC850 with the Global West 1/2 spacer ( which I ended up not using). The spacer didn?t fit well in the spring seat as Rich mentioned. I had heated the spacers and formed them to the spring but it didn?t help much. Bottom line...I used the spring without the spacer. CC850 has thicker stock and progressive coils.

Those are stock springs that have been cut. Look at this link...

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6806.msg57303#msg57303
Lynn