News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Carburator

Started by BP57CUSTOM, 2018-08-28 20:34

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Quote from: Tom S on 2018-10-19 05:59
That sounds like damn good mileage to me.  I may be mistaken but aren't you runnin' a 390?
Tom, it's 292 + .060, Holley 390 cfm, 3 speed OD and 3.89 gears..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-10-19 07:11
Tom, it's 292 + .060, Holley 390 cfm, 3 speed OD and 3.89 gears..

hiball3985

Quote from: Tom S on 2018-10-19 07:56

I would have preferred a higher gear for the hiway but I live in the foothills and the damn city has been putting in a stop sign on every little intersection just to piss me off   :005: So the lower gears work better taking off on hills..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KULTULZ

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2018-10-19 00:46

RE; Autolite carb

Ford didn't own Autolite in 1957, it was part of the Bendix/Fram/Allied Signal conglomerate.

Autolite held the patent on the annular boosters which made the great drivability of the carb.

Holley couldn't use them until the late 70's when they made a lot of 4 barrels for Ford Trucks with annular primaries and regular secondaries until F/I took over in the late 80's.

When Ford bought Autolite in the 60's they changed the name to Motorcraft.

BTW, Holley, Carter and Autolite all sold 4 barrels to Ford in 1957. (and 58-59). Same air cleaner and manifold bolt pattern, all different steel lines.

Ron.

FOMOCO/AUTOLITE HISTORY-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autolite
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-10-19 11:39
I would have preferred a higher gear for the hiway but I live in the foothills and the damn city has been putting in a stop sign on every little intersection just to piss me off   :005: So the lower gears work better taking off on hills..

I don't know offhand what the output ratio of your overdrive trans is but they are usually around 0.67 to 0.70 to one.
So in overdrive you basically have a final drive ratio somewhere between 2.60 to 2.72 but still have better acceleration at starts. That's real nice to have. 
If by higher gear you mean something like a 3.56, 3.25 or so on I think you'd have a hard time pulling it in overdrive.
My old '56 two door ranch wagon had the stock overdrive trans & I think a 4.10 rearend. Worked real good.
Once I forgot to take it out of overdrive or use the emergency brake when I  parked on the slight grade in front of my garage.
In the house a few minutes later I see the wagon freewheel right down the driveway, punching the nose of the wagon right thru the garage door. Garage door loses & somehow the wagon drives away with barely a scratch.
Loved that car.

hiball3985

I figured about the same 2.70 in OD. would only go as high as 3.73 as my next choice if I lived in the flat lands. I only use the OD on the freeway and keep it locked on conventional drive around town, I need compression going down hills  :002:. I don't have the relay and governor, just a toggle switch to control it. This trans is a T85 out of a 61 390/401 hp..

Too bad about the wagon that sucks but at least it survived. I miss my old 55 2 door too, that was the first Y block I built back in about 66.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

junior58

Those of you who have bought the Summit carb, is it a direct bolt on to the factory 312 4 barrel manifold, no adaptors needed? I am just about to order a 500cfm one.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

hiball3985

I'll let someone with the Summit carb have the answers but I did have to make some changes when I first tried a larger Holley. The intake and spacer on my 292 has 1.5" venturi's and I had to change the spacer plate as the Holley had larger venturi's. I don't know if the spacer plate was original? I don't what size the Summit 500cfm has. The small 390 cfm I ended up using has 1.5" ventures that match the intake. Other minor changes to linkage, vacuum line for distributor and electrical for the choke were required.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BP57CUSTOM

I have been using my Summit a year now and it is the best carburetor I have ever had , it was an easy hook up. the hardest part was finding a hot source for the electric choke.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

junior58

Have just ordered 500cfm Summit carb. Will take a little while for delivery to New Zealand but will update once it?s here and fitted. Just in time for summer cruising.
Steve McKnight

KULTULZ

ROTUNDA - AUTOLITE (1961) - MOTORCRAFT (1973) were marketing names, same as DELCO to GM.

Autolite did not make carbs, HOLLEY designed the 4100/2100 for 1957 model run intro.

History of Autolite - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autolite
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

junior58

Summit carb arrived and now fitted. Easy fit straight out of the box, nice instructions on any setting up needed but didn?t need those as it was so easy (hardest part was wiring up the electric choke, and even that wasn?t hard). Once it got fuel up it fired up straight away and settled to a nice fast idle while it warmed up. Choke came off and normal idle was only a slight adjustment. Have driven it a couple of times and am loving how much smoother and responsive it is. I haven?t done a long enough trip yet to do any fuel consumption comparisons but it does seem to be a little less thirsty. Very happy so far.
Steve McKnight

DanTudor57

Old topic, I know...

Anyone want to share pictures of how they setup the linkage for their summit carb?  Where did you get the hot for the choke?