News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Ranchero Project Underway

Started by Frankenstein57, 2009-02-17 17:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Hey guys, after a couple of years of talk, we're finally making some sparks on my Ranchero!
The frankenstein 57 fits it great.  The car has got more stitches in it than frankenstein. 

This car was from Central Illinois, plenty of rust.  A little background....

The attached picture is me in 1976, when I raced 57 fords on the dirt track.  This car featured a 427 side oiler, with a top loader 3 speed.  It was a former track champions car, and it was bad fast, a LOT of fun.   :burnout:

We raced this car for three years.  Won 36 races.  At the time, my older brother Bruce was driving a 57 ranchero on the roads.  Some of my race parts made it into that 57.  He died in 1979, and I acquired the Ranchero.  Many years of improper storage, and past Wisconsin winters took its toll.  When I tried to resurrect his ranchero, my floor jack went right up through the frame.  I started looking for another one, and I found my project car in Illinois on eBay.  I'm doing a resto/mod updating the handling, suspension, brakes, fuel tank, and drive train.  One of the things I find in this club is everyone is into something different, hopefully my pictures in the gallery will inspire someone that anything is possible. 

Your comments are welcome. 

Thanks,

Mark

JPotter57

Thats a very cool `57 dirt tracker.  Post up some photos of your Ranchero build.  We are all interested in everyone elses stuff...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

I forgot to select the  "under construction"  when I loaded a bunch of photos in the gallery, so most of them are in members cars, untill I figure out how to move them, Sorry, Mark

Hoosier Hurricane

Frankenstein:

About 20 years ago I was given a Ranchero with the same frame problem.  I had a retractable sitting behind the barn, sooo I moved the rear axle forward 2" and put the retract frame under the Ranchero and rebuilt the truck from there.  After 10 years of driving in Indiana salt, the frame rusted out again.  My son had a Lincoln Mk IV body he was going to junk, so I shortened and narrowed that frame and installed it.  Now I have disc brakes and integral power steering, and am still driving it. 

Good luck with your project.

John