News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

302 & T-5 in 1957 Ranchero

Started by kens65fb, 2009-03-23 14:52

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

How will a late model (carburated) 302, and a Mustang T-5 fit in a 1957 Ranchero with PS.
How will the shifter location be in the vehicle.
Any tips or problem areas to be addressed.
Thanks
Ken

KidKourier

Ken,   Most info on this can be found in forum topic section but I'll touch on a few, some of the members can chime in on motor mounts for a small block they used! OK---#1-your combo fits with plenty of room to spare--#2-change wiring from generator to altenator #3-if 6 cyl. radiator change to V-8 if V-8 it will cool the 302 if in good shape #4-modify Z-bar to fit to 302 block to work clutch #5 modify trans cross member for T-5(lengthen  stock mount) #6-shorten driveshaft and change front yoke to T-5 yoke('57 will fit but is to long and will knock out trans rear seal) #7-will need to change speedo gear to one for T-5(will need to know rearend gear ratio)there are several available #8-shifter location-if bucket seats no problem as shifter moves back towards seats--if bench seat is moved all the way back the shifter may still hit seat(some change the trans tailshaft to one from a Chevy S-10---T-5 which moves the shifter forward allowing clearance for bench seat) #9-you may need to calculate your gear ratio in overdrive to be sure your RPM is at a good range for the motor and not lugging it. Anything I've forgotten jump in and add or correct if mistaken! KID

Frankenstein57

Ken/Kid, I'm curious what motor mount you used. I used the fox body mustang 302 mounts with a T-5 trans and a mustang bellhousing, when I set the body back on the frame ,the trans and yoke hit the tunnel . I am using a 351 Windsor which I believe has about 3/4" taller deck height, but I don't think the 351W would affect the drive train measurements. I read where someone said the ford factory headers that come on the mustangs& explorers would work on the 57, not with the taller windsor motor.Maybe with the 302. Looks like you could lower the engine with a different mount, but you see alot of 57's with this engine. Shoud be a good fit. Mark

KidKourier

Check in "engine swap" section and see what Frankenstein 57,57chero,and J Potter said about engine mounts. Also 57 Agin has a 351 W in his Custom300 and Rob Haerr was installing a 302 in his '57 Wagon,what engine mounts are you guys using?  KID

57 Ford Kustom

My son has a 351W in his 57 we used mid 60's 260 mounts, plus a 1" spacer between the mount and engine. His engine and automatic came out of a 69 Couger.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

JPotter57

I used a '70 Maverick transmission mount on mine.  The Mustang mount wouldnt work. tail too high like you said.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.