News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

T-5 tranny swaps

Started by wolfpupsdad, 2009-03-24 08:40

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfpupsdad

just thought i'd pass this info on to ya guys sence it's something i'm working on right now and have discovered myself through lots of phone calls and lots of reading miss information on line.
  as some of you know T-5 have the shifter mounted in the tail housing to far back for most applications with bench seats, the answer is use S10 shevy t-5 tail housing which mounts the shifter foward about 7 inches. this is true but it's not a complete answer and can become costly.
heres what i've learned so far:
  all T-5 transmission are in 2 groups world class (WC ) and non world class (NWC) all ford and shevy T-5's are the same ezcept for spline size input shaft lenght and gear ratios, but are all interchangiable BUT!!!!! however all WC and all NWC have to be kept seperate , parts ARE NOT interchangiable between the classes.
the 1983 - 1988 the S10 used a mechanical speedo drive ( NWC ) after that they went to a electric speedo. there is a difference in location of the speedo drive on the tail shaft ( about 4 inches) so not only do you need to change the tail housing but you need to change the tail shaft, or build up the surface of the tail shaft from the 89 or later tailshaft with either apoxy or jb weld and fit the speedo drive gear in the right location.
the transmission shift fork shaft also needs to changed . now that you've moved the shifter location farther forward you need the s-10's shorter fork shaft.
these transmission where never designed to be racing transmission and will seft destuct if abused very often the NWC where rated at 250 ft. lbs. of torque and the WC at 300 ft lbs of torgue.
  you might want to think of laying out the cash for a tremec 5 speed and be done with it the first time out , and they have several different locations for the shifter for different applications.
just remember all ford  and gm t-5's are basically the same tranny and theres 2 different classes involved. have fun , i have and have learned alot.

Frankenstein57

On the Y-Blocks forever website I found this page very informative.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171291

These guys have the T 5 tranny covered.

Mark.

wolfpupsdad

thanks for the additional info mark , never to much info if it's good info, lol.