News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ford Del Rio wagon gas tank installation

Started by actualsize, 2009-03-28 23:38

Previous topic - Next topic

actualsize

I just finished installing a new Bob Drake gas tank in my 1957 Del Rio wagon -- the same tank that fits in Rancheros, and Retractables, too, I think.

It went pretty well, with few hiccups. This morning I poured in some fuel and fired it up -- the first time she's run in 18 months! Now for some new wheels and tires, and then some rear springs, and then...

Anyway, follow the link below to a photo gallery of the entire process. The photos don't end up in any particular order, but it'll make sense. Be sure to click on each one to enlarge it and reveal the captions.

http://www.carspace.com/actualsize/?50@@.5c901ee8

Dan

Frankenstein57

Nice work, what did the tank cost? I know I'm digging up an old topic, but do those rear tires go on ok?

actualsize

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2009-03-29 07:40
Nice work, what did the tank cost? I know I'm digging up an old topic, but do those rear tires go on ok?

$425. Bob Drake had them on closeout, but I missed it. Turns out an outfit called Ford Craft bought them all and is selling them for full pop.

And no, these rear tires fit poorly. The widest part is 11 inches across. The 235/60R 15 tires on 15 x 10 inch rims with a 3-inch backspacing barely go on. Worse still, the car has 2-inch lowering blocks. I have to jack the car up by the frame, not the axle housing, so the axle droops down far enough. And even then it's a struggle. The fender lips were modified (flattened inside) by whoever originally put this setup together, but it's still nearly impossible to remove the tire. I'll be in a towing situation if I ever have a flat on the road.

That's why I'm going to 16 x 8 rear rims and a tire that's no wider than 10 inches at it's widest point. And I'm going to redo the lowering blocks. I'll either go to a 1-inch block or go with re-arched springs.

shopratwoody

Nice pics and explanation of the process. I had to buy a used one before the new ones were
available. Tom's Rad in Orange did mine. I had about 500 in it by the time it was renewed, a good
sending unit from Steve and 3/8's pickup installed. New is nice!
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

The Ranchero/Wagon/Delivery tanks are completely different than the Retractable tank.  The Retractable tank is mounted in front of the rear axle.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II