News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Drop'em Stop'em Coversion Question

Started by johns2000, 2009-04-26 09:39

Previous topic - Next topic

johns2000

I haven't seen this mentioned in other threads about the brake conversion. In the instruction sheet that you get it states that some spindles will require a spacer between the nut and the spindle on the lower ball joint. This is suppose to be supplies but wasn't with mine,he is sending them now though, my question is why on just some 1 to 1 1/2" drop spindles and not all in that category and has any of you had to do this? Are they saying you will have to much thread on the lower ball joint protrude up through the spindle?

Thanks

Frankenstein57

I think what it means is if you see some of the balljoint shank exposed, you'll need a washer or two to insure the nut pulls the balljoint up into the spindle tightly. You should see nothing but threads above the spindle. Mark

johns2000

Mark

Yea that makes sense, I just couldn't figure why it would be with some spindles and not all?

Thanks

KidKourier

When Ford cast front spindles for the different models they made them various thicknesses at the tierod mounting location,as an example I'm using Granada spindles while a friend is using '68 Torino spindles,his is 1/2 the thickness of mine,while the shaft on the tierod ends are the same height,he'll have to add shims to space the castle nut to right height to avoid slop in their fit. KID

johns2000

I got the spacers today, they have a machined taper to fit the taper of the balljoint.