News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

heater core

Started by rmk57, 2009-04-27 22:26

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Can you still buy new heater cores for 1957 Fords? Mine started leaking around
the inlet /outlet tube. If not, could the tube be resolderd?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57 Ford Kustom

Mine leaked when I got the car . pulled it out and found that the valve seal was bad. But if it is a outlet a radiator shop can fix it for you.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

rmk57

It's the outlet tube leaking, the joint where it's soldered came loose. I've got some silver solder so I'm going to see if I can patch it up.
What function does that valve perform?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57 Ford Kustom

The valve regulates the amount of hot water flowing thru the heater core depending on the position of the dash lever. And is run by vacuum .

bagboy

might be a good idea to use soft soder. Any good rad. shop can recore your heater.

rmk57

I see how it works now. Problem with mine is the mechanism that regulates the
flow at the valve is gone. I looks like I'll have full heat all the time until I find
some missing parts.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57 Ford Kustom

Mine was missing the vacuum /mechanical valve when I got my car found one on ePay. You also can put a valve in the heater hose and turn it off in the summer.

57AGIN

rmk57:

Here is a picture of what I wound up doing with my heater mechanical shut off valve.  I never liked the look of the original 57's mechanical shut off valve.  Since I was going to run my coolant to & from the radiator through Cool-Flex tubing, I decided to use a Russell shut off valve.  It works great and is easy to open/close.  I keep it shut most of the time, unless going to an early morning car show or the beach during infrequent cold spells.

Bob
57AGIN

smurfee

On my fordor custom on the engine side of the firewall next to the heater sticking out there is a ess shaped wier, if you pull it forward it turns your heater on - if you push it rearward it turns the heater off :icon_bigsmurf: :unitedstates: SMURFEE
NEVER LOOK BACK

rmk57

I like the idea of the shut off valve. I think that's the way I'm going to go, the
cars only driven in summer anyway. Thanks for the input.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

bagboy

I was lucky , got a spare -new in box

rmk57

I ended up getting it re-cored, so it should be good for another 50 years.
But I am going to install a ball valve until I can find the missing parts.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429