News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Disc Brake Question

Started by JimNolan, 2007-01-30 04:23

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Hi All,
    I've got a question, may sound silly but I don't know the answer. When you install disc brakes on the 57 Ford do you also have the non-lockup function that todays cars have.  The reason I'm asking is I don't understand why disc brakes would be better than original power brakes if you don't have the non-lockup function. I thought the non-lockup function was supplied by a computer in the car.
   Me and the guys at work can't figure out what benifit disc brakes have when both provide linear braking ability to lock-up function. I realize with continued use the fade issue as well as the water issue with drum brakes but under normal stopping action, where's the beef.
Thanks,
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

custom300fe

Jim

The discs on the 57 won't give you the anti-lock function as you said that is computer controlled.
The benefit of disc brakes is better stopping power, it may not seem that the discs are better compared to drums but even on one application the discs will out perform the drums. Ease of replacing the pads as opposed to the shoes is another benefit, cost of discs compared to shoes is less. I was also going to say discs are lighter, but of that I'm not sure. I didn't weigh both setups when I switched.

Gerry

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

SteveO

yep, the stopping power advantage of disks over drums is night and day :)

Ford Blue blood

Disc drakes have larger swept area, better cooling and higher pressure at the pad with the same foot pressure given the master cylinder and brake pedal are set up right.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

F570RD

A quality pad is a must.After using some cheap pads that came apart on the car, I went with Raybestos Surestops.Night and day.My set up is from a 77 Tbird.