News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 radios

Started by Frankenstein57, 2009-08-03 20:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Wondering if anyone has purchased an aftermarket radio to fit the stock location. I see dearborn classics offers several options. There is a company called customautosound.com, they advertise on My classic car. They have several options, If you bought one- which one? and how do you like it?  thanks, Mark

wildhog

MARK I HAVE ONE OF THE AUTO SOUND IN MY BLUE SUNLINER, THAT YOU SEEN AT BACK TO THE 50'S. COME DOWN IF YOU WANT TO LOOK AT IT. IT IS OK, BUT IN A CONVERT. YOU DON'T HAVE MUCH ROOM FOR SPEAKERS. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

shopratwoody

Mark,
I also have one in my Ranchero. It's 200 watts. I bought their box type speakers for
behind the seat and the stereo speaker to replace the stock one. I'm happy with it. I would buy the
one that you can plug in a cd player next time. I just plug in a mp3 player most of the time.
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Frankenstein57:

I have a Custom Autosound Kenwood radio & 12 disc remote CD player installed in my 57.  It provides plenty of music power without having to add an additional amplifier and with a two directional speaker mounted in the dash and two good speakers an the deck behind the rear seat the sound is very nice.  I certainly didn't want a boom box or 1000 watt Thumper in my 57.  They do a nice job of matching the dash trim so it looks almost original (lol).  A couple of shots attached.

Bob
57AGIN

Marc

I know most have been happy with the custom autosound stuff, but mine was a complete piece of s**t. It worked OK for a few weeks, but then it wouldn't hold a station. It would just go into continuous scan. I couldn't even lock it onto a station using the preset buttons. Then all of a sudden, it would work ok.
I took it to a local stereo shop, they bench tested it and confirmed something was wrong. I shipped it back to custom autosound. They kept it for a while, and eventually returned it saying they can't find any problems. I reinstalled it and it did the same thing it did before. I finally pulled it and put the old AM back in.
You can buy a better quality aftermarket AM/FM/CD/MP3  for less money than they want for a mediocre radio. Install the modern radio under the seat or in the glove box and keep the original in the dash for looks.

Frankenstein57

Good point, by brothers old 57 Ranchero had the mini-8 in the glovebox, I still have it. I'll check to see how an underdash would look. I plan to run a selectaire underdash AC, might get crowded. Thanks, Mark

57 Ford Kustom

Mark
  If you are going under the dash 61-64 Corvair had a nice radio mount box/bracket to put the radio in. If interested I have one at home.

Tom :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Zapato

modern radios just don't look right in a 57. even under the dash its going to look awkward. I'd sacrifice the glovebox first and leave the stocker in the dash for looks. just my opinion.

Zap  :burnout:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

geraldchainsaw

i put my modern radio in the glove box along with 2 gages,    orig radio in the dash, can b hooked up to the antenna just by taken one out put in the other if needs to be,  i myself don't like a bunch of stuff under the dash

Zapato

Gerald, would think that Radio Shack would have an antenna splitter so you wouldn't have to switch back and forth.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

geraldchainsaw

your right,  i give radio shack a try,   didn't even think of going that way,  thanks