News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Painted Dash...Gloss or Semi-Gloss?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2009-08-11 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I think I am going to paint my dash and metal interior parts black.  The stock dash looks like a semi-gloss finish.  Any input on whether I should go with gloss or semi-gloss black?  Thanks!

57 Ford Kustom

eather semi or flattened paint for the dash is the best little reflection of the sun.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

rmk57

I used gloss black and I'm happy with it. I live in Vancouver so I don't have to worry about sunlight glare from the dash..... :002:
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

I also used gloss...looks awesome.  I live in south Mississippi, and the sun is bright and the glare sucks, but I have sunglasses.....:)
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

nick

did mine in satin black, not to shiny not to dull

CDN.SD

Given the choice between gloss and semi gloss black, I think I'd go with the semi. I've seen a 58 with gloss black, and I didn't really like the way it looked. IMHO there's just too much of it, and on the inside, it tends to stay too glossy. (Unless you lay it on a bit dry.)

The last car I worked on (64 Falcon) I used rattle can 65 to 73 mustang interior metallic black, and really liked the way it looked. The metalic knocks down some of the blackness, leaving an almost dark charcoal color. I plan to use it again on the 57 SD I'm working on now, when I eventually get to that point.

Just my $.02 tho...
Necessity is the mother of butchery

shopratwoody

I prefer gloss. Looks like a painter did it! I'm not into the rat rod look :003:
I hate blocksanding!

greaseball

+1 with what 57 Ford Kustom said-

When my dash was gloss I noticed the glare ALOT more, rather annoying, but it did look great when it was parked!  :003:

Ford_Crazy

I found a semi-gloss metallic gray rattle can paint at the local auto parts store that is very close to the original 70A dash color in my car.  It's Dupli-Color 414 Storm Gray.  It's a base-coat clear-coat color, but without the clear it looks about right.  I painted the dash and it looks great. My car is suppose to be back from the painter soon.  We'll see how it looks with the red exterior. :001: