News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

gold trim on the sides; glue? what do you use?

Started by texasmark1, 2009-08-14 21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

texasmark1

about ready to reinstall my stainless trim and the gold inserts... appears that the gold inserts were originally "glued" as there is residue on the backs... anybody have suggestions on what can be used these days to stick them back down?

thanks,Mark
God Bless Texas!

outcruisen

I pulled my 57 down about 6 months ago and it had no glue behind any of the gold flashing trims. I investigated with a company called "Restoration Specialties & Suppl, Inc" (They are at 148 Minnow Creek Lane, Winbar PA 15963).. They faxed me a diagram showing all external retaining clips for the car and I was told the stainless trim clips for the side of the car are designed to hold the gold flashing in place at the same time so no glue was needed. This apparently is so they can be removed then reinstalled again without deamage if required.

I asked them for a quote to do the both sides of my car (Supply clips), but they never got back to me. I tried them 3 or 4 times!! (Anyone know anyone else that can supply these clips?)

I was put onto these guys by Carpenters..

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Mark

57 Ford Kustom

The Mac'c catlog list some of the front fender and door mld clips for Custom 300 and Fairlane.   WWW.macsautoparts.com 

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

meteor

Quote from: texasmark1 on 2009-08-14 21:23
about ready to reinstall my stainless trim and the gold inserts... appears that the gold inserts were originally "glued" as there is residue on the backs... anybody have suggestions on what can be used these days to stick them back down?

thanks,Mark

Just use a few quarter-sized dabs of 3M weatherstrip adhesive - that stuff is great.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

texasmark1

thanks for the responses...
Concours Parts in NV has all the clips you could want for the side trim pieces...
I've almost gotten the correct ones!  there are so many different kinds, its hard to know which ones to order... especially when the old ones were rusty, missing and taken off about 15 years ago... I was sure I'd remember them when the time came to replace them... HA!
God Bless Texas!

DanTudor57

My country sedan has no adhesive. If i ever need to remove them I will use a a small strip of super thin 3M double sided tape, or a tiny dab of some non-permanent adhesive...