News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

need spindle/disc brake I.D help

Started by Frankenstein57, 2009-08-21 21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Maybe Lou, or someone can help me. My brother saved some disc brake spindles, a few years back. He said he thought they were later full frame torinos. I ordered rotors, calipers,bearings& seals for a 76 torino 351W. Bonus everything matched up, after checking closer, the inner bearing is smaller on the old stuff. The torino replacement rotors have a larger inner bearing. He says it might have been a Mercury, full frame. I checked granada rotors, they are different. Any ideas? thanks, Mark

wolfpupsdad

mark , it still could be torino but try station wagon, taxi , and police for specs.

Frankenstein57

Talked to my brother today, he says the spindles were off a mercury, full frame rear steer,but the car had an 8" rear end. The cougars of the mid 70's were kind of big, did they have a full frame? Mark

shopratwoody

Earlier 71 or so had smaller inner bearings. Torino, ltd II t bird, cougar etc
I hate blocksanding!

Frankenstein57

I have unlocked the mystery of the disc brake spindles. Autozone has a terrific website, you punch in the year, make & model of your car, and you can search around for parts such as rotors, calipers, bearings ect. I new the 76 torino calipers and pads fit my spindles, so I kept searching for a 70's mercury that used those calipers, but used the smaller inside bearing. I was on 72 montego, and when I looked at the 6 cylinder package,wala, there was my rotor. We got the specs off autozones computer,checked them against the old rotor, all good. They were twice the cost of the torinos, $93. But I'm ready to paint and assemble. These guys were very patient and helpfull through the whole thing.  Mark