News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new guys car

Started by 57rod, 2009-08-23 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

57rod

I chose to do a 57 Ford as my last project not because they are a favorite of mine but rather because I'd never seen one I liked. I was challenged to see if I could do one and end up liking it. I also wanted to use the car to show case either a SOHC motor or a Boss 429 monster motor.After a year of looking, I came to the conclusion that with my budget, that was never going to happen,so now what was I to do? After pondering for a good while I decided to just use what I had on hand since I didn't even know if I would like the car when finished. I had a 500 Cad sitting there so it was elected. Then I started having fun thinking of how to disguise the Cad to look more like a Ford. Today, very few pick up on the travesty. The more fun I had, the more I was willing to invest in the imposter. Today it is a 542 ci well built engine--hence the Fairlane 542.I am expecting low 11s. Any features I didn't care for on the body--I changed. One thing I especially enjoy is the 8"x4"offset rear wheels with no tubs and stock width rear housing. The verdict----I really like the end result and enjoy the car a ton and hope it brings some enjoyment to the 57 Ford community.    Rod

Frankenstein57

I like it, nice job .  Mark

tarheel57

Turned out nice,looks good,and sits good. which way did you go about lowering the front end? :unitedstates:

57rod

granada spindles--cut coils with Taurus rack--Rod

shopratwoody

Very nice. Think I've seen it on another site quite awhile ago.
I hate blocksanding!

wolfpupsdad

theres just something about big cubic inches that trips my trigger, i love them big 472/500 motors, had a 500 in my 56 studebaker hawk and a 472 in my 76 chevy p/u,

meteor

What did you do for door releases? curious...
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

Zapato

Any construction shots showing the Taurus rack installation?
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57AGIN

Rod:

Very, very nice.  I do like to SVO on the valve covers.  Talk about a stealth fighter.  The color of your 57 is definitely a standout color and very similar to the 57 that is used in many of the Lucas Oil commercials.  The 57 community is fortunate to have another fine example of the marque.

The Lucas Oil car is in Southern California and comes out to a number of our local shows.  He went for a different approach in the engine, too.  He's got a blown, dual quad, 312 Y-block.  Both of your Fairlane's are awesome.  Here's a couple of shots of what the other one looks like.

Bob
57AGIN 

57rod

I have snapshots of the rack--I'll work on getting them on computer---I have no scanner. I was going to say,you are from Wa. come on over and look at it, but I see you are in the Bellingham area---thats where my wife grew up.   Rod

barefoot

rod,  looks like quite a ride.should have hockey sticks.L.O.L.  I WILL POST MINE SOON.  BAREFOOT

wildhog

LOOKS GOOD ,YOU GOTTA LIKE A BRIGHT YELLOW CAR
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JPotter57

I like the Mope wheels on the 57.  I had two of those on my last one for awhile, but could never find two more.  After I gave up on them and bought the Welds, my dad came across 6 of them and got them all for $20....sucks.  Anyway, cool 57, love the yellow.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.