News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Windshield installation- To glue or not to glue?

Started by greaseball, 2009-09-05 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

greaseball

So I'm going to be installing the front and rear windshields in my '57 Fairlane 500.
In the ford manual and in the weatherstripping directions it says to use glue, but when my '73 truck windshield was installed no glue was used.
Furthermore, I seem to recall reading that glue isn't necessary and becomes quite the pain if the glass ever needs to be replaced again.

So what's the call?
If I don't use glue will my windshield(s) leak all over my (soon to be new) interior?
And if I use glue, is there any way to prevent that icky "seep over" on the new windshield?

Thanks!!

>Justin

57 Ford Kustom

Are you sure the manual is talking about the weatherstrips? not windshield and rear window gaskets. I never used anything but a little soap to install and sealer if leaked. All weatherstrips must be glued.
\

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

shopratwoody

Like Tom said, just soapy water. It's difficult enough without adding glue to the equation.
Have fun :003:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

greaseball

TOM and Ron,
Thanks so much for clearing that up!!

>Justin

meteor

The first glass guy did a horrible job on installing my windshield, he did not use glue. He also put the stainless trim back in without making sure it fit the same contour as the glass. He said use some soapy water and it will pop into place - bulls**t, I tried everything to get it in there. Every spot where the trim is not 100% tight to the rubber water pours into the car - and I mean pours like a waterfall.

The second glass guy I talked to, as he looked over the car, couldn't believe there was no glue. His safe bet is to always use glue when dealing with reproduction gaskets/weatherstrip and windshields on older cars. I've even been told that the new windshields are thinner glass than the original which might affect how tight the stainless/rubber will seal.

just some food for thought...
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

DanTudor57

Go to a glass shop, and get the windshield gunk. it comes in a tube and this stuff that will stay soft for a long long time. Do not use urethane, or anything else that will 'glue' permanently. This will not only ruin  your rubber pieces, but if you get any of it anywhere, you'll be hating life.

I don't remember the name of this stuff, but describe the application at the glass shop and they will point you to the right stuff. It is more of a black paste that doe snot set permanently, remaining soft. If you need to redo the installation do to a leak, you have the option of redoing the job -- with glue, you're screwed. If you're doing it yourself and have not done this before, be prepared to take your time, and to redo the install at least once, and keep in mind that you can always add more of the sealer.

And yes, installing these things takes really soapy water (I prefer a heavy soap solution with little water) and a rope. The Ford Repair manual will have instructions on the procedure and does reference a rope.

Partsman

I worked for Ford dealers for over 30 years.  Never glue back glass or windshields in use, "bedding compund" 3M makes really good stuff.  Put a bead all around the pinchweld on the body and then use soapy water and cord in the groove of the w/strip and pull the lip over the pinch weld.  Do not use urethane as you will regret it if you ever have to remove the glass.  A lot of glas shops will use eurethane as it is quick and easy but not a good way to go.