News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Disc Brakes 3 : Original Spindles

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 17:59

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

fiv7ford
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Disc Brakes on original spindles   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

skyliner312
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/2/02 3:44 am)
Reply Disc brakes on the original spindle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A look at this page: www.woodyg.com/fairlane/f...scs66.html gave me an idea of maybe use a Granada disc on the original spindle and fabricate a bracket for the caliper. Does anyone know if a Granada or any other disc will fit on the original spindle. Whats the size of the bearings. Thanks, Henning

cj57ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/3/02 1:26 am)
Reply Re: Disc brakes on the original spindle
I don't think any disc brake hubs, etc. will fit the 57 spindle, but, there are many cheap spindles that will bolt right up, the reason we use the Granada spindles is for the drop they have built in. Most of the 70s disc brake spindles from full size Fords fit the ball joints and tie rods just fine-no reaming needed! A buddy of mine put 73 LTD wagon spindles on his custom 300, they bolted right up. Remember to get the master cylinder too, and some say the proportioning valve is optional. Get everything attached to the spindles,brake lines, calipers,rotors,old disc pads etc. That way you will know what you need when you go to the parts store for any replacment pieces. Good Luck! If you have any other questions just post another reply. CJ

Canadian300
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/5/02 12:46 pm)
Reply ANY FULL SIZE SPINDLES??
What is this??
Have I been living in a cave.
I was under the impression that only the Granada spindles worked (with reaming) I haven't been able to find any Granada's in my area so I still haven't done the switch. If any of the full size will fit will someone confirm this. I'm not concerned about the drop. I've got it low enough now.
Gerry
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

cj57ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/5/02 1:27 pm)
Reply Re: ANY FULL SIZE SPINDLES??
I can't say any spindle will fit, but many many will! Like I said a buddy of mine used 73 LTD spindles and they bolted right up. I took some spindles in my shop and compared them, a 76 Granada, 70 Mustang, 70 Full size Ford, They would all work, the Mustang and the Granada need to be reamed the full size does not. I don't have a 73 mid size car ie. Torino, Montego, but i do believe they would fit also. I know ball joint and tie rod sizes are the same as 57 ford. Just a note, the granada spindles only drop the front about 3/4 inch, depends how much you ream. FORD PARTS DO INTERCHANGE!!! Many engine parts will interchange. We need to get the word out! It pisses my of when some bonehead bowtie guy says parts on our Fords cost too much and are too hard to find. It's worse when we Ford guys don't help each other. Just ask and we'll all try to help. CJ

dgasman
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/5/02 3:11 pm)
the full size ford and mercury spindles from 69 - 72 do fit .
I have 72 Ltd wagon brakes on my ranchwagon I had to ream the tie rod hole out a little to make the tie rod seat deeper into the hole so I could install the cotter pin , I used a die grinder to do this , you must use 15 inch wheels with these brakes hope this helps
dgasman

Edited by: dgasman at: 1/11/02 6:12:12 am

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(1/5/02 5:22 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: ANY FULL SIZE SPINDLES??
Yes, there are a number of ford spindles that will work.
Lincoln Versaille spindles work as well, and I'm told that spindles from a 79 Ranchero will also work, but with something like a 2 1/2" drop.

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(1/6/02 6:08 pm)
ezSupporter

Quote:
you must use 15 inch wheels with these brakes hope this helps

There are some of these set ups that you can use 14" wheels with, but you must use the 14" wheels designed for disc brake cars. Original '57 wheels and most from the '60s will not fit with disk brakes.

warr29631
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/10/02 1:35 pm)
Reply Another Question?
In summary, it appears there are many of the '70's Fords, Mustangs, Mercurys, and Granadas that can be interchanged to get front disk brakes. We may have to use 15 inch wheels on the front. What about the rear wheels? Do the 15inch lug patterns match up with the '57 rear 14 inch pattern?
I am not that far along wiht mine yet, but just trying to plan my steps and how/where to get what I need.
Thanks for the answers on this board.

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(1/10/02 4:47 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: Another Question?
You don't have to use 15" wheels necessarily. There are Ford 14" Wheels that were designed to be used on disc Brake setups, and they will work on a '57.

406Custom300
megaford_57
(1/10/02 11:51 pm)
T-Bird and COugars...yes
Smurfee has a set of `77 Thunderbird disks on the front of his, he says no troubles. I have a set of `77 Cougar, which are virtually identical. These clear my 14 X 5 Mickey Thompson 5-spokes on front......
"This ain't no joyride, this ain't your daddy's Oldsmobile..."
Blackie Lawless, W.A.S.P. Helldorado

dgasman
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/11/02 1:52 pm)
to clarify my 15 inch wheel quote I was talking about 1969 thru 1972 FULL SIZE FORD'S and MERCURY'S , LTD's and Monterey's . I tried several rims including aluminum and the 14 inch rim would not fit over the caliper , with a 15 inch rim installed the clearance from the rim to the caliper is only 1/8 inch.
The 1977 T Bird spindles would accept the 14 inch rims because the car was downsized this year and built on the Torino / LTD 2 platform witch had 14 inch rims .
I hope this clears up my "you must use 15 inch wheels with these brakes "
I will be quiet now
dgasman

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(1/11/02 4:05 pm)
ezSupporter

dgasman

You are correct, Ford didn't start making 14" rims that will clear a caliper until the later 70's. But earlier 14" rims still will not fit those disc Brake set ups. They must use the later 14" wheels, unless using aftermarket wheels.

Some of the earlier set ups will only accept 15" rims.

oneday
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/12/02 3:53 am)
Reply Re: Disc brakes
I also used to think that the granada brakes were the only ones that would fit the '57. Thanks to this board now I know that I could use others. I have a set of disks from a '71 galaxy and my mustang gt wheels wont fit over the hub. I guess the next step would be to see if they fit over the granada hub. Oh ya, if I do get some granada disks, where would I buy a reamer with a 7 degree pitch as was stated in another post. Thanks for the help!

oneday

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(1/12/02 4:33 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: Disc brakes
oneday, A machinery supply outfit should have tapered reams like that, but it may be easier just to take the spindles to a machine shop that has them to have it done. Take an old ball joint along with you so they can use it as reference.

As for the GT wheels, I'm told there are later ones that will fit on Disk brake spindles, and perhaps some of the reproduction ones are made to.

oneday
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/17/02 11:57 pm)
Reply reamers
Hey, I found out where to get a reamer. After calling frame/alignment shops and machine shops, someone told me to try racecar shops. I found Race Car Factory (Irwindale, Ca.) @626-256-3322 = $119.50, and Victory Circle (Bakersfield, Ca.) @661-833-4600. One of these guys told me they would ream my spindles for $7 a hole. I then looked up Stock Car Products on the internet and found a reamer for $78.50. I'll call them tomorrow. It's more money to do it myself but then I'll have the reamer if somebody I know needs it.
Hope this helps somebody
oneday

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(1/18/02 1:47 am)
ezSupporter

Re: reamers
Do you have a link or phone number for Stock Car Products?

oneday
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/18/02 10:41 am)
Reply website & phone #
I should have given the phone numbers with the others companies. Stock Car Products @ 800-262-8099 and 804-230-4638. Fax 800-596-4638 and 804-230-4638. Web Site www.stockcarproducts.com/

friapop
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/21/02 11:01 am)
Reply spindle reamer
I believe Fatman Fabrications will ream your Granada spindles for $60 exchange.

tudor
'57 Ford aficionado
(1/31/02 9:41 pm)
Reply RE: Spindles
Used LTD spindles( year?) on my Custom, needed 15 inch wheels, how ever, I used multi-lug wheels to get a matching bolt pattern. Front 5 on 5, rear 4 1/2 on 5. The power brake master cylinder would not fit on the firewall with the FE, Used a Bronco booster with Cobra aluminum covers. I removed the LTD disc brakes, didn't stop correctly. I know now that I should have gotten all the parts. If any one is in Mid Michigan, I have the spindles with brakes available. Low miles on them.

Dan the Tudor Man

danVilla
'57 Ford aficionado
(2/7/02 12:23 pm)
Reply Re: RE: Spindles
Okay then.. I've got a 57 custom tudor. I added the Granada spindle and disc brakes (78 Granada v- . They worked great. Fatman did the reaming for me, the turn around time was less than a week!

Earlier this week a Wilwood disc brake kit for a 1965 - 1969 mustang came into my hands. Does anyone know if that kit will work on the Granada spindles?

This kit includes new calipers, rotors, bearings, everything, except a new spindle. It is slick! I want to make sure the parts are interchangeable between the mustang and the Granada before I go and tear down my existing setup to see if these work.

Anyone know about this interchangeability?

warr29631
'57 Ford aficionado
(2/12/02 11:40 am)
Reply Re: Disc brakes on the original spindle
I have access to an '87 Lincoln Mark VII at no cost. Does anyone know if the disc brakes will work?
"I read, I forget;
Iwrite, I remember;
I do, I understand."

duce2door
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Disc brakes on original the spindles   

Excuse me if I am a little slow here, But I'm new here and was wondering what part of the Granada spindle has to be reamed? I have another question that doesn't have to do with the brakes, But figured as long as I was here I would ask if any of you know where I might find somebody that sells the rear window for '57 wagon? Thanks!

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

quad_quazy

I just started my swap last week.  I'm using 78 Granada spindles, and You have to have the lower ball joint and tie rod end reamed.  The tie rod only a little bit but the ball joint has to go almost .100in.  Hope this helps you.  Also I found new calipers for $18.00 each, rotors for $39.00 each, and a ball joint kit with both sides upper and lower with seals for $140. 
So far I've got about $600 into it with a 7in booster and corvette servo, spindles, proportioner, new lines, machine work, spindles, rotors and calipers. 
My problem is that nobody in town (35,000 ppl) has an angled reamer.  I found one who would buy one so he could do them for other people in the future but we don't know whether it's a 1 1/2" or a 2" taper ream.  Does anyone know the answer to this?  I don't want to send them off, shipping would be to expensive.

57 Ford Kustom

In one of the writers in the this post [about 1/2 way up] stated it was 7 degrees, what I would do is take a ball joint to the machinest and have him go from there.

T :burnout:M    :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57chero

I bought mine at a local tool store, put my spindels in a vice and used my millwaukie hole hog with a 1/2" chuck worked great,the container it came in says its a #2 balljoint taper reamer- 1.5 in. per. ft. taper spiral flutes.You can get on the manufactures web site and see a picture at www.chadwickreamers.com the part # is 85020 I think it cost me about $40 good luck.

Fairlane500Ron

I purchased my reamer from Speedway in Nebraska. About $80
It's 7 or 7 1/2 degree taper
If you want I'll dig out my receipt and give you the details
I did mine in a vice and a drill press
Ron