News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A NEWWWW CAR, COME ON DOWN

Started by JimNolan, 2009-11-08 16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Well Guys,
    I did it. I went crazy. In my quest for a 57 Ford to put on the track I came across a deal I couldn't refuse. I found a 1963 Galaxie XL 2 dr. hdtp Z code from New Mexico. It had been built in Dallas and lived in New Mexico all it's life. It's got a new interior and a body without holes. It needs paint but it's got good glass, a new headliner and new original seat upholstery. The price was right so I did it. I was tired of looking at 57 that either cost too much for what you were getting or one that was cheap and would take 50K to fix like mine did. Oh well, I'll have to watch you guys race. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

Good score Jim...I'd kinda like to have a `61 Starliner, or `63 or 64 Galaxie XL500 HT myself...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
   I don't know what I'm going to do with a car that don't have rust holes in it. I won't know how to act. I always liked the 63 Galaxie, especially the XL's. It's a cruise a matic with the console and everything. The 64's were nice too. It's in this era that I started seeing the torque wars with the big cars. I just never got into chevy's for some reason. Now the Ramchargers was something else though.
   How's the family getting along. A little time has passed since we last heard of your plight having to run back and forth when you mother in law died. Hope everything is doing well for you and yours. Jim

shopratwoody

Jim,
Those are still one of my favorite cars. I had a 63 1/2 500 XL 390 car. It came a met maroon. I
shot it Black. Had the Gold int. Nice. I also had a 64 500 XL factory 427 car, Burgandy with White
int. They sure had nice interiors. Have fun, you can run at All Ford races also. Or better yet anytime.
Should weigh around 4100 lbs if I remember right.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

FORDNUT

Congrats. It would take a while to find a bigger 57 fan ( have owned 5) than I am but I also went to a Galaxie 2 years ago. It too is a 63 XL. Mine is a boxtop 390/ 4 speed. As much as I love 57's, it is a world apart handling a Galaxie bigblock.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

JimNolan

Fordnut,
   As far as the big block handling, I've already got that. The amount of time and money I've put into my 57 has turned it into a car that is really fun to drive, show and take trips in. Beating it is another story. It's fun to get a wheel every now and then, but it's harder to turn it loose like I used to. I guess I get to thinking about the money and breaking it. I need a car that isn't finished to the point you worry about it all the time.
   This 63 Galaxie 500XL is a boxtop too. Its got the C4 so I ought to be able to use it to bracket race with and not worry about not having to hurt it. I needed something else to work on anyway. I've come to the point with my 57 that I'm changing things on it just to have something to do. If I continue with what I'm doing I'll be scared to drive it. I've got a 68 390 sitting in my test stand now that has been bored, new 10:1 pistons, water pump, HV oil pump, rebuilt heads, distributor, comp cam and valve train, and a S code intake that I'm ready to fire up now. It needed a home. I've got one for it now. Jim

FORDNUT

I did not mean to imply that the 390 was a new experience, as I too have plopped 390's and stroked Windsors in my 57s. What I should have said was, that although I have improved the suspension on all my 57s, the 63 is total different handling road car. Don't currently have a 57, but do not rule out bringing another home someday. Right now, the 63 is headed to the paint shop for a facelift. Doing a frame on resto.

cool57

Quote from: FORDNUT on 2009-11-09 07:32
I did not mean to imply that the 390 was a new experience, as I too have plopped 390's and stroked Windsors in my 57s. What I should have said was, that although I have improved the suspension on all my 57s, the 63 is total different handling road car. Don't currently have a 57, but do not rule out bringing another home someday. Right now, the 63 is headed to the paint shop for a facelift. Doing a frame on resto.

What sort of mods did you do?

Frankenstein57

Way to go Jim, I always liked that year. My brother had a 2 door sedan in the late 60's, 406 4-speed. He used to come home on Friday nights with a couple hundred bucks won racing vets and roadrunners. The car was a real sleeper. Mark

JimNolan

Mark,
   I paid for it today so it's mine if the trucking company will pick it up and the guy I bought it from will sign the title and give me a bill of sale. I'm like a kid with a new toy. I'm inclined to try and pick the brain of Fordnut. I need to know if I can put 255/50/15 tires with 8 inch rims on the back of that 63. I finally got a car I can put headers on too. The drive train is the first thing I'm going to work on. If I can get this 390 hooked to a performance C4 and a 3.50 posi-trac, I think I'll be pleased with the outcome. The body is in good enough shape as well as the interior so just fixing it up to put on the strip is all I'm going to do. Ya, Right
  I remember those 406's, when they first come out they were the dream of a 15 year kid. That's about the time I got interested in NASCAR also. I read a statistic once that said David Pearson's lifetime record for wins was 60 percent. He didn't race as much as Petty but it was usually a Ford that won when he did race. Jim

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

Nice find.  I also have a Galaxy, '63 fastback XL, R code, black with black interior, 4 speed.  Bought it less engine, very little rust.  Pieced together parts to make it a 427/425, but it is not "numbers matching" under the hood.  Stupid car for me to own, I've driven it once in 2007, twice in 2008, and once this year.  Maybe a couple hundred miles total.  But I like it.  Have fun with your project.

John

JimNolan

John,
   How in the world did you find an R code. Those things are scarce as hen's teeth and if found in any condition are expensive as hell. Hopefully you'll see my car next year in Columbus. I really don't plan on doing anything to it except the drivetrain. The body doesn't need anything and I'll run it with primer in a few places and not worry about it.  Jim

Ford Blue blood

Jim,  Very nice find!  One that got away from me was my first car after coming back from Nam in 66.  It was a red 63 1/2, 390 Z code, 4 speed, 3:89 T-lock black bench seat from the factory.  Lost track of it when I traded for a 70 Boss 302 (lost it too but that is another story involving family).  That big ol fat Ford (as it was called by my ship mates) came in at 4200 and change but it was an awsome car!  Ran consistant 14s on street tires through open Hooked headers.  Good friend bought a brand new 440 Road runner in the fall of 69 and could never beat me, he was not a happy camper!  They are fun cars and I'm sure you will enjoy it to the max. 

BTW, take a 428 block, 390 crank and you have a 406.  Use a 391 truck crank with the nose turned down to passenger car specs and you have a forged steel crank........
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

blue blood, good luck with pistons for a 406...I had a 63 406 a few years ago, and barring custom slugs at $800, I couldnt find any, especially .030 406 forged pistons.  My 406 was std bore, but needed a cleanup bore to make it right.  Instead of screwing it up with a 428 crank, I sold it for a good amount of cash, and built a stroker windsor instead.  Man, I wish I had the 406 back...it was a G code, 3X2 intake, complete, original log, linkage and oval breather.  I believe I sold the intake setup for more than I gave for the whole engine + BW 4 speed.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

FORDNUT

I won't tie this up because it is the wrong forum for this car, but here is what the wheel/tire combo is.Fronts are 15x6 with 215/70 and rear is 15x8 with 275/60's. I am the wrong generation for the rubber band tire thing. I always try to build them to look like they did when we built them back then...