News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Help with exhaust

Started by FORDNUT, 2007-02-16 13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

FORDNUT

ALL RIGHT GANG. I NEED SOME HELP. I KNOW, I KNOW. THOUGHT I WAS SMART AND TEST FIT A SET OF MANIFOLDS FROM????? TO MY WORKED 390  WITHOUT THE TRANSMISSION ATTACHED. THEY FIT GREAT WITH THE Y-BLOCK MOUNTS TURNED LIKE THEY CAME OFF THE 312. BEAD BLASTED AND REFINISHED THEM ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT WHEN I ATTACHED THE TRANSMISSION AND TURNED THE  MOUNTS BACKWARDS, I HAVE SERIOUS INTERFERENCE WITH DRIVERS SIDE. THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE INSTALLED FE MOTORS AND USED BOTH Y-BLOCK MOTOR MOUNTS AND STOCK TYPE MANIFOLDS.....  WHAT DO I USE FOR THE LEFT SIDE? :dumbass:
At my age I am not required to act mature.

shopratwoody

I don't know if this will help, but years ago the first 390 in my car had early flat manifolds. I think it had
58 352 motor mounts.
Good Luck, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

FORDNUT

Don't cheer yet, but I may have figured it out myself. This morning I am going to turn the motor mounts around to face the same way they do on the y-block. This will move the motor back slightly and give me the needed room for exhaust and fan. I will then build a plate to span the gap between the transmission mount and the crossmember. Motor looks better back a bit and since I have not had driveshaft built yet, it is no big deal. I'll let you know.

Frankenstein57

Like Ron said, the Fe blocks were introduced in 58.  The frames were basically the same up to 64.  So those motor mounts will work. I raced 57 dirt track cars in the 70s, I had the 406 and 427 factory headers , they were swept back real nice with plenty of clearance . Probably very rare, good luck, Mark

shopratwoody

You must have it in there right this time. I also had an addittional plate on the rear cross member for the extra
length. Now with the 429 I used the Crite mounts which include a new rear crossmember. The FE is a good fit
in the 57, especially with a good set of headers
Later, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!

FORDNUT

All right. She's in.Motor mounts in same direction as they were with the 312. I had to build the extension plate and shim it to keep the C6 transmission pan just a hair above the crossmember without hitting the floor. Everything seems to line up better and look better. Manifold clears motor mount and crossmember and there is correct room between front of pan and sway bar. The unforeseen benefit was that one of the driveshafts I had in the corner is now the correct length. One less machine shop bill. Believe we have a winner. :thumbsup:

shopratwoody

Good for you :burnout:
Sometimes this stuff does work out.
Later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!