News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob Burdoff's 57 at goodguys kansas city show

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-01-17 09:07

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Does anybody know anything about the 2d sedan on page 86 of this month's Goodguys magazine? Awsome car!!! In particular I'm wondering about the grille and how it was made. Best looking grille I have seen for a 57 by far.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Norway

Hi RICH MUISE
You got any pictures of that grille?
Arctic Customs

RICH MUISE

no, sorry. I only saw it in the Goodguys monthly magazine. Grille appears to be stock outer portion one pieced, with the original rectangular opening center section cut out and replaced with closely spaced square bars. not a close up photo but appears to all be one piece with an extremly clean look to it.

RICH MUISE

reply to my own post: I just found out it was the same car that was featured in street rodder earlier this year. It was built by brite built, salinas ks.,and it is on their website(www.britebuilthotrods.com) with a dozen pics. a note on features says it sports a custom billet grille. I'm going to contact them to see if they will reproduce it and how much.

JPotter57

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

that would be the one. your photo gives a better look at how it was made. thanks. I think I can duplicate it except i'll use stainless for the bars. somebody once told me you have to be careful to use the right welding rod when you are welding up something that is going to be chrome plated or it will eventually discolor, showing the welded areas. I'm thinking of one piecing the outer portion of the grille as they did. I would think that if the plater does his copper process correctly it would seal of any differences in coloration, and I can't imagine it "bleeding thru"...any opinions or experience? thanks from no. texas

JPotter57

Actually, it is aluminum that will discolor when welded on.  Steel is welded on all the time before its plated.  Get it dechromed (dipped in hydrochloric acid to remove the chrome) before you start on it though.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.