News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

window removal/replacement; 64B

Started by texasmark1, 2010-01-28 09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

texasmark1

anybody done this in their car?  I have the shop manual; gives instructions and pics but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done it and can give some advise/do's-don'ts, please!!

thanks, Mark
God Bless Texas!

JimNolan

Mark,
   Which window are you talking about. The front and back window procedures  are pretty much the same. A 63A should be about the same as a 64B. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

texasmark1

plan/hope to do all of them... both front and back; rear windows go up and down; they are not fixed like some...
God Bless Texas!

JimNolan

Mark,
This will be long and rambling. Front Window
1. Use a razor knife to cut the rubber away from the window and push from the inside of the car to take the window out.
2. Clean new window and trial fit new rubber windshield gasket. Before new window installation, apply bead of windshield sealant inside grove where window will sit in gasket.
3. With gasket around window insert window and gasket into bottom of window opening. Making sure trim holes in gasket line up with trim holes in frame on both bottom corners.
4. While friend  applies pressure on outside of window use a small phillips screwdriver bent 90 degrees at the end to pull inside of gasket over inside window frame opening. Now you'll be inside the car and your friend will be outside applying pressure where your're working. Do each side first.
5. Apply forcefull pressure on top of the windshield to better seat it into the bottom groove. Then pull the rubber lip over the top inside. When you get through take your fist and pound on the window all the way around the rubber from the outside. Start out gently at first then a little harder the second time around.
6. Apply gerous amount of windshield sealant between the gasket and the window on the outside. Especially the corners. Ask me how I know. It took me two months and two front carpets before I found that water was leaking through the inside seam of the gasket.
The back window is done the same way but if you're going to install a new headliner wait until the headliner installation before installing the back window. You'll be doing the back window installation twice if you don't. Jim

texasmark1

guess my question was not clear... I'm talking about the window in the front door and the side window by the back seat (this is a 2 door post model).
God Bless Texas!

JimNolan

johns2000

Jim
   I'll need that info soon so thanks!!

texasmark1

hey, Johns2000, its supposed to be sunny this weekend here in Houston and I plan to tackle the first window... dr. side... will try to shoot some useable photos and post them along with some useful narrative...

notice I said "try"!!

stay tuned!

thanks,Mark
God Bless Texas!

JPotter57

Are you replacing all the fuzzies, anti-rattler strips, window runs, and weathe stripping as you go?  It adds up to a lot of green when you do them all, but if you do it one at a time like you're talking about, it would be easier/more affordable.  Take lots of photos, that would make a good tech article.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

texasmark1

good point on the cost... I have sourced some parts thru J C Whitney, instead of the usual (D Carpenter and Concours) and saved a bit of dough; once I get it all apart, if there are not too many trips to the ER to patch up cuts, bruises and skinned knuckles, I may try for the whole banana...

cross your fingers in my behalf, please!

Mark
God Bless Texas!

shopratwoody

I did the complete job on my door glass. The 57 shop manual worked pretty good for me. I think
D.C. had a sheet of directions also. Do the whole thing at one time. On the windshield
there may be screws unders the lower corner pieces also.
I hate blocksanding!

tarheel57

Be careful with that J C Whitney stuff.I have tryed using their stuff in the past,and after a couple different times I found out you get what you paid for.I can assure you the J C Whitney want be no were near the same quality and fit that you will get with the D.Carpenter & Concours.If you have to do the back and then later do the front, use the better product because the few extra bucks will be worth it if you plan on keeping the car .Just my 2 cents worth,good luck. :burnout:

texasmark1

well, its not quite the chore I feared it was; took some pics but if you have the shop manual, then it really does show all you need to get it done.  couple of points however:

-when you are finally ready to pull the window unit out of the door, be sure that you are able to open the door all the way, cause you will have to "wiggle" it back and forth to get all the interal railing out; I did my first window in the garage last night and could only open the door about half way... almost had to holler for help....!

-helpful also might be squirting the nuts/bolts and loosening them a bit about a day before you actually do the removal... I did this and they all came out very easily...

-only cantankerous part was one of the roller assemblies... should have come right off the pin it mounts to, but I had to get a GBF screwdriver to it before it finally came loose!

-the weatherstrip on the top edge and back edge of the window comes out in one piece... real easy to remove... no clips-I have sourced this item from J C Whitney-these pieces can be cut to size and glued in place; the "fuzzy" strips that mount to the removable door molding and the door edge are both attached with either clips or large metal staples... these may have to be "correct" parts as sold by D. Carpentar/Concours.

-once out of the door, I just cleaned the grease and dirt off everything and wirebrushed the rust off, then put some rust treatment on; plan to paint with some Rustoleum; also tried to get all the old dirt and grease off the interal rollers and lifting hardware.

Pics to come...
God Bless Texas!

texasmark1

balance of the internal window control from the first door removed last night; mucho old grease,dirt, sand on the crank mechanism... should operate much better now that I can clean it up completly!  also, now able to put something inside the door from top to bottom for insulation and rust prevention/control...

having fun now!

Mark
God Bless Texas!