News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

100 Amp+ 3 Wire Alternator-Any Suggestions

Started by Bubba, 2010-02-22 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Getting ready to swap a 70 428 CJ into my 57 63A.
I thought while I was at it i would upgrade the electrics from the one wire alternator that someone previously installed to a high output 100-140 Amp three wire alternator.  Anyone got any suggestions as to make of alternator? I would prefer a Ford alternator, but am open to suggestions.  Also would like to use an externally regulated alternator, but I don't know if anyone out there make an externally regulated unit that's rated  above 100 amps?
Thanks
BuBBa

4banger

Tuff Stuff Products out of Cleveland, Ohio  Summit handles there products. American made. They have 3 wire with external regulator hook up. Plus all other types, small case, 1G,2G,3G Go to there web site.

Ford Blue blood

Check out the various three wires that were in the big 80s FoMoCo products.  My 66 Falcon Ranchero had an 87 Continental 140 Amp 3 wire on the engine when it went in the car.  Not sure you would need that much unless you are adding a bunch of power eaters.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Bubba

Bill & 4 Banger:
Thanks very much for your help.
Most appreciated
BuBBa

JPotter57

I used a 94-newer Mustang alternator on mine.  It has internal regulator and is 130 or 140 amps.  Very nice unit, wont run anything else on my cars, especially GM parts...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.