News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Custom 70A Tail Light Extension Gaskets?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2010-02-22 17:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

Finally got my car back from the painter and it came out beautiful.  Now the fun part ... putting it back together.  On a 70A 2 door Custom, are there any gaskets between the body and the rear tail light extensions?  Dennis Carpenter lists a gasket for the Fairlaine 500s, but they told me to contact the Old Ford Parts Store for the parts I need.  I installed the extensions without gaskets and they look fine.  What do I need?  Thanks!

4banger

cool57

They are made of a thin off-white colored foam. If there is no water leaking between body and housing maybe you can get by without gaskets.

RICH MUISE

I bought mine from Classic Auto in Oklahamo City a few years back (they used to be called Ford obsolete)
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford_Crazy

How about using a line of silicone sealer?

Hoosier Hurricane

The Fairlane has a bigger fin than a Custom, has anyone tried cutting a Fairlane gasket down to fit a Custom?  John

Ford Blue blood

If the gasket is solid in the fin area you can cut it down as the shape of the light portion and the base of the fin are exact.  I have test fitted the 500 tail lights in my Ranchero and the fin portion is larger all the way, a scoash wider after the round portion and of course longer.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

I'm not positive, but I think either Macs or Dearborn Classics has the gaskets for wagon, ranchero, which is the same for Custom/C300.  Anyone have a current catalog handy?  All I have here at work is an Auto Krafters catalog.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford_Crazy

Dearborn Classics shows gasket number TBP100 which is a taillight to body pad for a 1957 Ranchero.  I think you are right about the Custom gasket being the same.  I'll order a set (8.95) and see what happens.  Thanks!

Ford_Crazy

I bought Ranchero gaskets from Dearborn Classics and they are definitely different.  I was able to trim them to fit my Custom 70A.  Used contact cement to hold them to the taillight housings while I bolted them down.  Everything bolted up OK and they worked fine.  You can't see much of the gasket when all is tight.