News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

3-speed OD question

Started by Frankenstein57, 2010-02-22 21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

I'm finishing up the 58 Ranchero I bought late last winter, It has a 292 Y-block with an overdrive 3-speed. While ordering some pieces I need to finish the project, I found out the relay for the od kickdown is no longer made. Concours wanted a small fortune for one. I'm not to concerned about being exact stock, and having a kickdown switch on the gas pedal is not a big deal. Has anyone tried using a toggle switch for the OD solenid? Can't be to difficult, can it?  Thanks, Mark

hivolt5.0

The '57 Ranchero I bought last year has a toggle switch on the overdrive.  I asked the gentleman I bought it from about it (he's the father of a college buddy).  He installed a switch where if it is in the up position the overdrive stays engaged, the middle position the overdrive never engages and the down position it works like the factory setup. 

There is a bad wire on it somewhere and the kickdown switch is bad so it currently doesn't work, I think one of the wires by the tranny is bad.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Frankenstein57

That's what I was thinking of, it probably powers in and out. A 3-pole toggle sounds like the ticket. Thanks, Mark

Hoosier Hurricane

I think the 3 pole switch was installed so that the OD could be controlled manually or let it be automatic.  A two pole switch is all that's needed.  Connect it to the solenoid and power it from a source that is hot with the ignition on.  I've been doing that for about 50 years on several cars and trucks.

Ford Blue blood

You might look at useing a later model accessory relay.  They will easily handle 30 amps and can befound in the "power control" box under the hood.  Just finish replacing the relay for the power seat in a 63 Bird.  The stock one was a small fortune, the late model was free from my friends yard!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Lou

With a toggle switch you can bring the O/D in anytime and in any gear you want, just remember to switch it out when you are starting in first gear.

canadian_ranchero

used a ford starter relay.hooked the wire from the governor to the s terminal,12 volts to one of the battery terminals and the other one to the solenoid.i used this with no kick down switch,but i am sure you could wire it in also.hope this helps

jwag

I have a toggle in both my 57's rather than a kickdown for the passing gear. I like being able to turn it off completely  so I do not have the solenoid on all the time ( even if your overdrive is not mechanically engaged, the solenoid will be active once the governor kicks in when you reach the mph where it engages) As far as having a 3  pole switch, I personally would never want it engaged all the time. You could do serious damage to your OD unit if you started off in first gear from a dead stop and decided to punch it and burn some rubber. An on/off switch along with an active governor would be the best option in my opinion. As far as the Kickdown for passing? How often is that really needed? if I need it I just turn the toggle off.