News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Oh no, another tire size question...

Started by RAWms, 2007-03-06 17:05

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

...but just needed to ask.   :deadhorse:

I'm planning on "big & littles" for the Ranchero.   Wheel wells are unmodified.  None of the suspension has been modified to lower the car.    I want to run the largest tire I can in the rear but be able to change a tire if need be quickly; In other words not dropping a shock or other contortion.  The wheels are stock 15" from a '72 Ranchero and I cannot not answer the question regarding back spacing.

I believe a 255/15/70R will fit as I did a test fit with a 235 and had lots of space to fill.  I thought I saw a 265s and maybe a 275s recently in an ad.  Comments.

For the fronts I'm thinking 215/70R15s.  Not sure if a size smaller looks ok.

Curious about what others have done.   Sorry about re-treading this topic, r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

57AGIN

Roger:

I'm not sure if the tire clearance in a Ranchero is the same as in a Custom 300, if it is here is what worked for me.  In the rear I have 15 x 8 Cargar rims back spaced 5 & 3/8" mounting BF Goodrich 255 x 60R15 T/A Radials.  This gives me about 1" clearance on the spring side and 1" clearance on the rolled under lip of the rear fender.  By jacking the car up using the frame & letting the axle hang down, I don't have any trouble getting the tire in and out of the wheel well.  It is tight, but not really a problem.

Good luck

PS:  I attached the two size adjusted pictures of the spring side, I'll adjust another picture when I get home tonight and it clearly shows the clearance on the fender lip side.

Bob
57AGIN