News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

how to determine the level of a 57 Fairlane

Started by JimNolan, 2010-03-18 17:50

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   Where would you measure to see if a car is sitting level other than just looking at it. I've got to tell Eaton Springs how much the front end of my car has to come down to be level. I plan on jacking the car up at the rear by the hog head and measuring the distance the bumper went up to figure how much to come down on the front. Does that make sense to anyone else but me. Is there a certain place on the car that would provide an indication of level. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

KidKourier

Jim,  Don't know if this will help or not but what if you took a set of jack stands and placed them at each end of your car and ran a string from one to the other at the same height as the bottem of the rocker panel just in front of the door,and you could measure the height movement at the rocker panel just in front of the rear wheel well when you raise or lower to be even with the front? I went out in the garage and measured from the ground up to the center of the dustcaps at the wheels(same size tires/rims,front /back) and was dead even at 13" to center so that also might be a referance point? KID

JimNolan

Kid,
   I think you may be right. The rocker panel is the only place I can think of as being anywhere near straight on the car. I also thought about the bumpers but the bumpers are at different lengths from the wheel. I think I'll measure from the floor to the top of the wheel well centered at the wheel and compare it to a string stretching from the front bottom rocker panel to the back like you suggest. Between the two I should end up with a close assesment of the height I need the front springs.
   I told Mike at Eaton Springs it took me 8 hrs. to change the first one and a little over 3 hrs. to do the other side. He just laughed and said I'd have them done in less time than that next time. I must admit I don't dread taking them apart again. Once I tell him how much less the height has to be they are sending me new springs and I just return the old ones. They have the specs on the springs they sent me before and he said the next ones would be correct. He sounded like he enjoyed working with me on it. That's different. Thanks for your feedback. I'll use your suggestion of using the string. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.