News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 vs 58 steering setup

Started by jdh6fan, 2010-03-18 22:38

Previous topic - Next topic

jdh6fan

I know this is a question that has more than likely been answerd in the past but I cant seem to grasp it very well.  Why is a 58 steering setup betten than a 57?  I just cleaned up and put back in my car the origional 57 setup of which seems to be kinda sloppy.  So I located a parts car 58 ranchero with a complete steering setup in it.  I plan on pulling it and using it in my 57, but what makes it better than the 57?
Thanks for your time
Jeff

canadian_ranchero

in 1958 ford went to a recirculating ball-type steering box.it is better than the gear-type used in 1957.the 1958 box is also smaller,giving more room for engine swaps. 

JPotter57

Even better than the `58-59 box is the 63-64 Galaxie swap.  It is a lot better box, smaller, and has a rag joint, so you can more easily add a modern column....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

I always assumed the drag link,tie rods, idler arm , were the same 57 to 64. Is this true?Mark

JPotter57

They look the same, but I believe the idler is different, and the tie rod ends may be different lengths.  If you had all of them, lay them on top of each other to verify they are the same.  I may try to check that stuff out this weekend and see.  I'll post what I find...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.