News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EFI 460 in a 57?

Started by Frankenstein57, 2007-03-11 12:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

I  just finished stripping my donor vehicle 88 e350 van. Low mileage 460, od automatic. I took everything I thought I might need, including the complete fuel system , computer , complete wiring harness -inside and out. My thought process was cheap horsepower ,which will allow me to spend my $ on a top notch,resto of the car. Then down the road I can mod the engine or whatever. I also posess a fresh carbed/dual point 460 which is another option. I thought the EFI motor might run better on todays fuel .Is this a resonable project or a pain in the behind? I would prefer an od 5 speed than an automatic, I posted these questions on another forum , seems I get good feedback,then the 70s ranchero crowd starts putting it down. I respect the knowledge on this forum. Someone said the ford 5speed would not hold up to the 460s power, I would need a tremec. I am not planning on racing, and the motor is stock- What do you guys think?   Thanks Mark

shopratwoody

Nothing wrong with the 460 swap. I run a 429 (same deal). If you go the efi direction, I understand there's
aftermarket options for the ecu etc to make the wireing simpler. There's a lot of wireing involved with the
factory loom. The early 71 and older heads will really wake up a smog 460. Check the torqe specs on the stick
trans you want to use. A good 460 will create 500 ft lbs of torqe easy down around 2800 rpms or so. you will
need headers, unless maybe rack and pinion will allow clearence.
Good Luck, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!

KULTULZ

What are you going to do with the upper plenum and dual bore throttle body? The lower plenum fits only the EFI heads (runner size). All can be modified to work.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Frankenstein57

I've got two engines an 88 Efi, and a 70's vintage carbed engine. Not sure what I want to do.  Mark