News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rack/Pinion Steering

Started by KidKourier, 2010-05-31 17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

KidKourier

After having Tom Drummond's (wildhog) rack/pinion power steering kit installed for over a year in my '57 I have to say it's a great "bolt in" kit.I have over a few hundred miles on it(freeway(70+),mountains,backroads,etc) its handled perfect!If you have a socket set,jackstands,floorjack,you can install this kit in a few hours,it's that simple.Any problems just call Tom or John they'll help you solve any issue you have or send you a replacement part (not that I know of any ) they're both great to deal with.Everything you need is in the kit except powersteering hoses(if you go with powersteering),I just took 2 coat hangers--straighten them out then bent them to what I needed,gave them to the Napa guy and told him to add 2" to lenght and he made the hoses and clocked the fittings.You won't be able to use the stock '57 steering column without major fab work,something with a rag joint or spline shaft(Ididit-Flaming River-'58 Ford?)mine was an after market column already so no problem.You do loose a little in turning radius but not enough to "P/M" about  after factoring in its other benefits such as parallel parking or backing into those tight spaces sometimes at car shows(LOL). You might have to get the alignment specs from the shop manuel page 4-4 at bottem and give it to your alignment guy-if its not in the program on the alignment computer they don't know how to do it(even the local Ford garage didn't have a clue or want to take the time to dial it in)So there you are--great kit from one of our own members,so let's support them.  KID :006: