News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

installing fenders

Started by woodytwoshoes, 2010-06-07 09:04

Previous topic - Next topic

woodytwoshoes

Good Morning, I removed the front fenders off my 57. They were welded (brazed) to the rockers at the bottom. Is this standard? I dont see any bolt holes or nuts to bolt em on down there. Can someone give me a heads up on this?
Thank you,
Dave

Ford Blue blood

They are bolted to the rockers, the inner fender, the cowl about half way up and on the top of the cowl, then accross the top of the fender to the inner fender and of course the front core support and splash shield and the stone guard (the silver part).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Probably were brazed to the rockers because lower mounting points had rusted away.  I had a fordor sedan that one side was like that about 10 years ago.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

The tab at the bottom of the fender should look like the photo attached. The photo was taken with the camera in the wheelwell area. I think you had mentioned there was some previous body work done to the fender...the original tab may have been too corroded to weld to a replacement panel, and they elected to just braze the fender to the rocker instead. I would recommend if you don't have the mounting tab to fab one. You never know when you may want to remove or adjust a fender, and you sure don't want to have to repaint the area everytime you do....Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

woodytwoshoes

Geeze I cant believe how helpful you guys are! This is great. Any ideas on finding complete body mount sets? I had to cut the bolts to get em off so I need the whole shot.
Thanks
Dave

alstoy

Dave, both Concours and Denis Carpenter sell body mount kits online. You learn from your mistakes. I would recommend when you bolt the body to the frame, before you finally tighten it down take some measurements to ensure you have the Body square on the frame. I didnt and had a hard job working out why the gap on one wheel well was different to the other.

Good Luck,

Alan