News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

alldata.com....online service manuals

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-07-19 07:52

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I recently pulled a complete windshield wiper setup from a 97 Mustang. One of the components I needed was the control module. It was a Saturday, and the donor car was slated to be crushed "within a few days". I figured I'd just pull the wiring from the wiper switch all the way out to the wiper motor and somewhere in between would be the control module. NOT!!! There was no way I could follow the wires as they were all intermingled in the main wiring harness. I had no idea where the module was or what it looked like.I didn't have time to find a shop manual for the car. My answer was an on-line manual from www.alldata.com.
Maybe a little pricey at 30. per year, but even if I had time, a used manual would have been more plus shipping of a heavy book. Here's the best part, and what swayed me to go that route: You are allowed to switch vehicles once. Perfect! I found the info I needed including a description of the module and a drawing of where it was located,and after later downloading about 40 pages of schematics for the wiper/washer wiring and the steering wheel wiring, I switched the manual to the Lincoln Mark viii I'm using for the engine. Sometime before the year runs out I'll download any and all info pertinent to the drivetrain/wiring/etc. The on-line manuals also give you access to any and all factory recall info or updates on the vehicle.I know hard books are great, but digital is up to date, and sometimes you need it fast. Two things I'll mention...I suspect there will be a wide difference in the quality and amount of info from one vehicle to the next, and they are for newer cars only..they won't have 50's cars on there at this time.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe