News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering Box Rebuild

Started by Bubba, 2010-07-19 15:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Bros:
My 63A has a considerable amount of play in the steering wheel and I would like to have the steering box professionally rebuilt.  Some of my buds suggested that I have a 58 box rebuilt to replace the 57 box.  I would really appreciate it if anyone has experience with steering box rebuilders and how well the rebuilds went and if they know of a source for a 58 box if that's really the way to go?
Thanks
BuBBa

briney

Between those 2 choices a 57 or 58 a 58 box with a reciprocating ball is much better.  Just my 2 cents.

Patrick / Dallas   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

jwtdvm

all the way up to a 64 galaxie will work with the steering box--now my 62 box I had to use a 62 column---I am not sure if a 58 box uses the 57 column but I am thinking not??--so any box will need an upgraded column but 61 -64 columns will all work with any year steering box (61-64)--Stangers  rebuilt mine--seems to know his stuff and a nice guy---keep calling him you will eventually get him on the phone

Bubba

Thanks!
Do you have a phone numbers for Stangers?

jwtdvm

yea the number is 210-687-1313

Bubba

Thanks!
I will give him a call

ranchero57

Hi Bubba
    I found a 58 junk and removed column box and everything.It looks identical to the 57 .but it is the recirculating ball type (I think 59 is identical too)the 58 doesnt have the horn wire running through the shaft.You must use the 58 horn and turn signal stuff.I had mine rebuilt at d@s rebuilders 1-985-863-2619(sal),I also sent a friend there and he had his 57 box rebuilt.I went the 58 and later type because they steer much easier.  Campy

05gt

ABS power brakes in cali rebuilds the boxes. I talked to them a few months back......somewhere in th $200-300 range to have it done if I remember correctly. I haven't pulled my box out yet though. From all my research, sound's like the 58's box has much better feel to it, but like others have mentioned, you have to change up the horn button. Good luck with it!

shopratwoody

FYI,ABS is in Orange, CA :001:
I hate blocksanding!