News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

source for hood latches?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-07-24 16:51

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A few years ago I saw an ad for polished billet hood latches that were installed in a similar fashion to the way hood pins would work. Rather than having pins up thru the hood, these were recessed into the surface of the hood and had built in lock/key cylinders very similar to a recessed door handle. Does anybody know who carries these and if they are still available?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Had forgotten about those, haven't seen any for years will be interesting if you find any. The ones I remember the keys were cylindrical. Good luck! :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Found some last night similar to what I had seen (except they are carbon fiber) at www.deftracing.com. These are to contemporary looking for what I was looking for.

Hoosier Hurricane

Rich:

Seems to me that some Mustangs or Shelbys around '67 had them, maybe the Mustang vendors have them.

John

Lou

I've seen them used on vending machines and house alarms.

57chero

Go to jegs.com and search for locking hood pins  Mr.Gasket makes them.

Zapato

Rich,

The guys at Mopar are building Challengers for the 2011 model year, supposedly limited numbers but according to the write up in the November 2010 Hot Rod magazine the car will have "muscle car-era hoodpins". Looks like the real thing is as close as your neighborhood Dodge dealer parts counter.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

I'll check out my local dealer to see if any of their inventory has them or if they have pics in their sales literature. Thanks  Zap...check your pm's   Rich

2x57sedan

i had a set on my 72 mach one about 20 years ago i dont think they were billit  but anywho i wouldnt use them again 

my machs inner fender approns were rusted under the hinges and i was a teenager working for min wage so i took the hinges off and made a liftoff hood out of my stocker  (ever picked up a 71-73 mach one hood? THEY AINT LIGHT)  well i found a set of these neat hood locks and said ill use these so no one could steal my pins etc  well......    one day coming home from work busy afternoon traffic so i wasnt goin much over 35 and what happens???

that big old heavy steel mach one hood lifts up and off my car and flys through the air like a wing  how nobody behind me hit it or ran over it or how it didnt come down on some ones car is way beyond me

this was after i had these locks for about 3 months so i knew how to use them
57 custom sedan
57 failane 500 4 dr (parts 4 sale or trade)
2 60 thunderbirds 1hdtp 1 vert (parts)
69mustang
72 f100

rmk57

The original ones that came on 1970 Mach 1 and Torino's ( D0ZZ-16894) are still avalible. There not cheap, around $200.00 a set I think.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I figured out the recessed kind like I wanted won't work because there isn't enough room between the cowl and the latch mechanism housing(which mounts on the underside of the hood). The ones I have found require at least an inch clearance. I guess I'll have to stick with the more traditional type of which I found a bunch at DallasMustang.com.