News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

More Radiator Questions?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2010-08-08 16:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I installed my stock Y-block 57 radiator in my car for a trial fit with my 390 FE motor.  It seems the stock Y-block radiator bolts to the support and sticks out to the rear of the car.  I only have about 2 1/2" between the water pump and the radiator and can't use a clutch fan.   A friend told me I need a 57 6 cylinder radiator which bolts to the support but runs forward through the hole giving me more clearance.  I have another friend with a 23,000 mile 1957 Ford 6 cylinder parts car with a radiator he will sell me, but I'm pretty sure it won't cool my 390.  I measured the hole in the radiator support and its 24" wide and about 18" high.  This means I may be able to use a universal aluminum radiator if I work up some custom mounts.  Of course there's always the Griffin option...  Can anyone that's been through this verify my options?  Thanks!

Ford Blue blood

Don't bet on that 6 banger not cooling, might surprise you how well it will work.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford_Crazy

I can buy it cheap.  Should I try it?

canadian_ranchero

check the bottom outlet.i think they are on opposite sides

Ford_Crazy

I checked and the 6 cylinder radiator definitely won't work.  The hose connections are very different.

KidKourier

How about taking the V8 radiator to your local radiator guy and have him flip the brackets or cut 1/4" slots on top of your core support in front of original mounting location dropping radiator in front of it then use longer bolts,spacers,lock washers and nuts? Should give you the added space you need and use the existing radiator with just the cost of mounting hardware. KID

shopratwoody

Any rad shop can change the outlet location. Had the bottom done
on mine 50 yrs ago.
I hate blocksanding!

Ford_Crazy

I'm looking into using a Universal Aluminum radiator from Summit.  Looks promising.  I'll post when I have it worked out.

jwtdvm

make sure your motor mounts arent backward making the engine too far forward--I dont run a clutch fan but I do have a small spacer between water pump and fan with no problems--that original rad which checked out fine at the shop used to cool a 428 pulling a 20 foot trailer

Ford_Crazy

In order to drop a FE motor and 4 speed into a 1957 Ford and have the transmission cross member line up, you have to turn the stock motor mounts backward.  I've looked at a bunch of FE 57 swaps and most of them use the stock 57 V8 radiator with a normal non-clutch fan.  Even saw a 427 SOHC with this setup.  The universal aluminum radiators are definitely an option, but the car will lose some of its vintage look.  After a bunch of research, I think I'm going to order a new 3 row 57 V8 radiator and use a non-clutch Galaxie fan and be done with it.

Bubba

Bros:
Don't overlook SPEEDWAY they have their own line of universal aluminum radiators which are very reasonably priced and are available in at least three different sizes.  Also Ford had two different radiators [perhaps 3] for V8 equipped cars in 57.  The HD radiator has fewer and wider "ribs" on the top tank.
BuBBa

Ford_Crazy

I decided to order a Summit universal radiator.  With a little work on the radiator support, it looks like it will drop right in the hole where the 6 cylinder radiator fits allowing me to use my clutch fan.  The whole thing with brackets only  costs about $200, so it if doesn't work I haven't lost much.  Stay tuned...