News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

motor size

Started by clubcoupe57, 2010-08-19 23:44

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

Hi guys I am trying to figure out the the size of the y-block in my 57, the guy i bought it from  said it was a 272 cu. in. stock motor, The id plate indicates it is a 312, but I thought all 312 have a 4 barrel carb, mine has a 2 barrel, is there some kind of numbers stamped somewhere on the block, or heads, just curious  to know what it is . Thanks, Mike

wv 57s forever

if you go to yblock sight it will give you all the info you could ever ask 4.

rmk57

the only way Iv'e heard is to look for a raised dot about the size of a nickel on the rear of crankshaft flange.
You may be able to see this by removing the inspection cover on the trans or engine oil pan.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

Mike,
   The crank flange can be misleading. I've heard that some cranks had a hole, some had a dot and some didn't have anything. The only true way to tell a 312 is by looking at the crank main bearing caps. They'll say ECZ if its a 312. The 312 had larger dia. main bearing journels. If it is a 312 don't be too happy because most of them have already been bored out as far as they can go and you'll end up sleeving it. If you want to know anything about a 312, ask the Hoosier Hurricane. He's always answered any questions I've had, good Lord, he's raced them long enough. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

Maybe measure the stroke by putting a straight wire down the
hole and then measure that.
I hate blocksanding!