News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Starter motor issue

Started by outcruisen, 2010-08-21 05:39

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Has anyone ever had the problem of a real funny noise comming from the starter motor when trying to crank, then it locks up the whole engine to the point where you cant even rotate the engine with a breaker bar. After this, the starter motor seems to spin, but not engage the flywheel (You can hear it).. If you take off the starter motor the engine rotates freely.. I have just had the starter rebuilt, but for some reason it still dosnt seem to crank fast enough, and then once it has cranked 10 or so times, the noise starts, it locks up again and then you need to repeat the whole removal process..

Sound like a problem anyone else may have had?

Cheers

Mark

shopratwoody

I would say it wasn't rebuilt properly.
I hate blocksanding!

Lou

Is the bendix working correctly?

outcruisen

I dont think the bendix is working correctly, but my source here in Australia says it is no longer available through any of his suppliers.. If you know where I can get one it would be much appreciated.. The starter guy that rebuilt it even showed me the thing working on his test bench, but it performs totally different under load in the car..

If anyone has a really good working starter for sale, or better still, if anyone knows of a place in the US I can buy a rebuilt one it will probably save me more heart ache later by getting one shipped to me in Australia..

Let me know..

Cheers

Mark

Partsman

Dennis Carpenter lists a rebuilt for 57 to 59 in his catalog.  dennis-carpenter.com

Partsman

Rockauto.com also lists a starter for 57 to 59 with a y block and no core charge.

outcruisen

Thanks all.. Turned the corner.. Purchased a reconditioned starter from a guy here in Australia, but it turns out somewhere along the line the transmission converter had been changed to a later model (I am guessing Tank Fairlane). This model fly wheel was also used causing meshing issues. The guy sorting out the car elongated the holes in the starter motor and rotated it a few more degrees (apparently people in the know that run circut race cars with Y blocks do this regulalry I am told by an old y block racer down here).. This stopped the bendix gear jaming, or missing the teeth altogether.The car now starts perfectly every time and cranks with no issue at all. By the way, the distributor was a couple of teeth out, and stupid me crossed 2 of the leeds.. Thats why it wouldnt fire.

I am a dumbass I know, but the longer it took, the less I could I see.. What can I say.. But thanks all for the help.

Cheers
:dumbass: