News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

5.o HO vs. 4.6 dohc

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-08-31 07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

OK...I may be a little slow on the uptake, but trying to follow all the posts on the 5.0 HO and all of the posts on the 4.6 dohc installs, I come away with this analysis: Most everyone has said the 5.0 HO is an "easy" swap, and the feeling I get on the 4.6 DOHC is that it can be done but is a nightmare in comparison. I am aware of the physical size problems the dohc presents, and I am assuming the engine management wiring is substantially more complicated than the 5.0 HO. I am also assuming the 5.0's in most cases are using the simpler(wiring) AOD. (or are they AODE ?)
So...with the 4.6 DOHC, once the clearance issues are resolved, and the engine harness is wired (and not to underestimate either of these) I'm not understanding why it is that much more complicated than the 5.0 HO, or is it?
  In my specific application, I am planning on a floor shift, so no linkage problems to the column, and I will be using a programable speedometer, so speedo cable should also be a non-issue, and I'll be installing complete new wiring, so tying in to the old wiring won't be an issue. Also rack and pinion setup should eliminate some of steering clearance issues, and 4r70w tranny, so no clutch linkage issues.
In following RCLAIBORN'S posts on his 4.6 install, I've gotten a little gunshy on attempting it, but since he and Canadian Ranchero have worked out so many of the details I'm wondering if I am being overly concerned.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich the only real advantage I see with the 4.6 is visual, dressed up they are knock out looking!  From a reliability and serviceability stand point I call reliability even.  The engine management systems and closer tolerances have all but eliminated the reliability issues.  The 5.0 gets the nod for serviceability, just can't get over the room the 5.0 will give you to work on it and other systems.  The 5.0 has a huge support system with respect to parts, harnesses and programing.  While the 4.6 guys are making great progress and really great power from the 32 valve (03 - 04 Cobra) they are still very complex when compared to the 5.0.

Now having said all of that and owning nothing but Mod motor power vehicles (10 F150 4.6 3 valve, 08 GT 500 and an 05 T-Bird) the 57 Ranchero will be getting a 5.0 HO/AOD.

Just my thoughts......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

if you are talking about a 5L with mass air, the wiring and fuel system install would be about the same as the 4.6.the 4R70W is run off the engine computer so the only extra wiring is a small harness going to the trans.the spark plugs and oil filter are about the same to get to.the gaskets and seals on the 4.6 are better than the 5L so oil leaks are less common on the 4.6.both engines need front sump oil pans.like i said in another post,get a good running complete car and use as many parts as you can from it.if you really want a 4.6 and you put in a 5L,will you be happy in a few years?maybe Rich just flip a coin and go with that.   

Ford Blue blood

He is right, if the 4.6 is your "hot button" you need to go with it.  One thing I have learned over the years is if you make a compromise it will end up costing in the long run!  I believe you need to do what makes you happy and what you want.  Spending money on a project and coming up a little short with satisfaction is costly.  Cars are very personal, color, drive train, fit and finish and even interior material are what makes your dream or your "it's OK" car.  Follow your heart and you will be happier.  What we have to say ain't going to make you smile in the end....!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

great advise and a lot to ponder. Thanks guys.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CDN.SD

IMHO the nice thing with the 302/5.0 is that if you find yourself in over your head, for not much $ you can drop in a distributor, bolt on a readily available intake and carb, electric fuel pump (or change timing cover to an old style and add an eccentric to the cam), hook up a half dozen wires, and you're good to go.

With a 4.6, if you can't get it sorted, you're pretty much SOL.

Just my $.02
Necessity is the mother of butchery