News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stone deflector paint

Started by johnksr, 2010-09-02 14:50

Previous topic - Next topic

johnksr

Can anybody give me the paint code for the front stone deflector (behind the front bumper) on a 57 Fairlane 500. I know it is some shade of grey/silver.
I believe it is this color on all 57 fords, but I'm not sure. I cannot find this color referenced anywhere, and unfortunately I already primed that panel on my car so I can't match it.

JimNolan

John,
   The color is called Argent. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

johnksr

Thanks Jim,
You wouldn't happen to have a code for it would you?
I've checked and there are several colors called Argent. They do all seem to be some shade of silver though.
Maybe I'm just being to fussy...

JimNolan

John,
   I hate to be the one to tell you this but when I had my 57 painted the first time the guy told me that the old color code didn't exist. He claimed all the car company's had about the same paint and the old color codes didn't cross anymore. Now this guy had rebuilt a bunch of retracts and had won the Ford Nationals with them. He went so far as to pay $1500.00 for one outside rear veiw mirror for a 59 Galaxie the day before he took it to Pa. For that reason I tended to believe him. I figured anyone going to that extreme to make a car original surely painted it the right color. The second time I had the car painted was the frame off and I didn't tell the painter anything other than the gravel shield was Argent. It came out looking just as good as any other Fairlane at the Ford Nationals this year. You couldn't tell any difference in paint color. Jim

johnksr

Thanks Jim, guess I'll just pick one of the current argents that looks right and go with it. Now If I could get a current code to match the Flame Red, I'll be happy. PPG gave me what they said was the closest match to the 70707 code, which they say is now 3296. I sprayed the roof with it but it really isn't that close, looks pretty, but not that close. I am now waiting for the Dupont supplier to get back to me on with what he comes up with for a Dupont match. Thank God the white code is still good and having just sprayed the white portion of the car it looks great.
John

cool57

I used a GM paint called "non-smudge aluminum" it is a perfect match, this was over 20 years ago so I don't have any codes or other info.

JimNolan

John,
  I dug out the paint information my painter used. He uses the NAPA paint system ( not paint you buy at stores ). This system is provided by NAPA to Body Shops that want to mix thier own paint. It's Martin Senour paint. The 70707 PPG paint will be OK. But their cross for Colonial White paint is too white. The color you want will look brown beside of something white. I hope this transfers to the website OK. This is the mixing codes that I used and it came out right on. Remember also that they don't have the same paint now that they did back in 57, you see, it got old and they had to throw it out. LOL Jim
White (Colonial White)
TS282/UHS BC WHITE/Cumulative= 505.1/NON-Cumulative= 505.1
9872/HSF YELLOW/Cumulative= 510.7/NON-Cumulative= 5.6
9801/BLACK/Cumulative= 515.5/NON-Cumulative= 4.8
TS273/L.S. RED/Cumulative 518.2/NON-Cumulative 2.7
TRS2/HAPS FAST STB/Cumulative= 870.7/NON-Cumulative= 352.5
Th704/TEC SPEED CAT/Cumulative= 897.9/NON-Cumulative= 27.2
Phoenix Red (Flame Red)
9887/UHS RED/Cumulative=209.8/NON-Cumulative=209.8
9888/UHS MAGENT/Cumulative=370.1/NON-Cumulative=160.3
9907/B.VAN YELLOW/Cumulative=385.2/NON-Cumulative=15.1
9845/S SWHITE/Cumulative=389.4/NON-Cumulative=4.2
9854/BLACK/Cumulative=391.1/NON-Cumulative=1.7
BCS2/BC STABIL MED/Cumulative=742.0/NON-Cumulative=350.9
TH704/TEC SPEED CAT/Cumulative=769.2/NON-Cumulative=27.2

Ford Blue blood

Columbia Coatings powder coat "Argent" is a perfect match for the Argent on 62 T-Bird air cleaner and valve covers which looks exactly like the argent on the gravel shield.  It is a two step process, argent first followed by clear.  Does make for a bullet proof finish!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

johnksr

Thanks for all the info. The NAPA stores around here don't do paint anymore, but I heard back from Dupont and they gave me a new code. I am going to check it out and see if it is a winner. If so I will post it for those who might be interested.

57chero

johnksr, Go to autocolorlibrary.com click on make and year and the original color charts come up, you can get acyrlic enamel, single stage, two stage, lacquer.I used there paint on my ranchero two tone starmist blue and colonial white, I checked it up against the car that still had the original paint on some areas before I stripped it and it matched as well has could be expected for fifty year old paint , very happy with the quality also.