News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

429/460 motor mounts for `57

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 18:05

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

fiv7ford
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: 429/460 motor mounts for `57   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

f57351
'57 Ford aficionado
(3/14/03 9:55 pm)
Reply Motor mounts to install a 429 C6 into a 57 Custom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone tell me what kind of motor mounts will work to install a 429 Ford in my 57 Ford Custom 300? Will I have to do anything to the transmission mount and crossmember to install a C6 tranny with this motor? And last thing, what kind of speedometer cable will work with this tranny and the 57 Ford speedometer? Thanks Ron
Motor mounts

Show results

Ford57Carl
'57 Ford aficionado
(3/15/03 8:34 pm)
Reply Re: Motor mounts to install a 429 C6 into a 57 Custom
I bought a kit from Total Performance in Detroit ( 2 motor mounts and a trans mount)
I had to slot the top motor mount holes in the front crossmember downwards to get the one stud in the new mounts to fit.
I also had to slot the trans mount holes for clearance. The trans mount crossmember needed to be trimmed at the front by about an inch to clear the pan on the C6 trans.
For speedo, I used my 57 cable, and just used the drive gear from the C6 cable.

f57351
'57 Ford aficionado
(3/18/03 9:13 pm)
Reply Motor mounts to put a 429 C6 into a 57 Custom 300
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP ME OUT. SOMEONE ELSE HAS TOLD ME TO CALL CRITES FOR MOUNTS. I HAVE ORDERED THE KIT THAT THAY SELL TO PUT A 429-460 INTO A 57-59 FORD. IT COMES WITH MOTOR MOUNTS AND TRANS MOUNT AND A NEW CROSS MEMBER FOR THE C6. ALL FOR JUST $169.00 ISHOULD GET IT BY THE END OF THIS WEEK? I HOPE. RON.

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(3/19/03 3:22 am)
ezSupporter

Re: Motor mounts to put a 429 C6 into a 57 Custom 300
Sounds like a good deal for a kit like that.

If you can try to document the installation with pictures and a description. It will help the next guy who does the same swap

cj57ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(3/27/03 12:00 am)
Reply Re: Motor mounts to put a 429 C6 into a 57 Custom 300
I have the crites 460-429 engine kit in my car. It sets the engine down and back further than the 352 that was in the car when I got it. I couldn't get my Cobra Jet cast iron exhaust manifolds to clear with these mounts so I got the Crites headers also. the front tubes go under the lower a-arms, so if your going to put the front end on the ground clearance is a concern. I put the Granada spindles and disc's on the front that lower the front an inch or so. The header collector dumped right at the crossmember so I notched it out, boxed it back in and added a peice of channel on each side above the notch for strength. I also ceramic coated the headers, they look great and I haven't had to touch them since. I did a few things to the kit to make it work better for me. I wrote a little tech article in one of the back newsletters about this kit, if you can find it, there is alittle more helpful info.
Good luck, C.J.

wagon351
'57 Ford aficionado
(4/19/03 4:44 pm)
Reply Re: Motor mounts to put a 429 C6 into a 57 Custom 300
I put a 429 C6 in my 57 Fairlane, I use the orginal mounts that came with the motor,(out of a 1970 Mercury) turned them side for side, slide the motor in and use the C6 trans mount. I've had it this way for over 40,000 miles
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

F570RD

After having the 545 ,with Blue Thunder heads ,in the car for five years it expired in a major way.I too have the Crites headers and mounts/crossmember.The new engine has iron CJ heads and the headers are a full one inch closer to the ground.With the raised ports of the B/T heads the work that was done to the upper control arms and frame brackets was nullified.I have always had three 7/16 washers on each of the 6 motor mount bolts to raise the engine.