News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lowering the Front End

Started by boze, 2010-10-19 11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

boze

have just taken delivery of a restored '57 custom with the y-block. i had disc brakes and 2 1/2" dropped spindles installed from drop n stop. the car now has, but not enough attitude for me. i want to have cut 1 coil to drop it another 2". any comments or suggestions?

RICH MUISE

I belive the general opinion is cutting the coil springs can change steering geometry. Others have said no, and some have used aerostar springs to lower. Have you considered getting additional rake with different tire/wheel combinations? If you check thru the older posts I think you'll find more info. The guys at Eaton Sprin in Detroit told me it was best to lower with dropped spindles rather than altering springs.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

Been cutting coils since the 50's. One coil can be made up with
shims for alignment. I would cut a coil if it was mine.
I hate blocksanding!

KidKourier

Like Rich stated--larger tires in back or you could try air shocks in back--as you add air pressure the back goes up the front goes down! KID

boze

shopratwoody,

love the way your ranchero sits.

like you, i have also chopped one coil with dropped spindles on various past cars ('55 chev with a 350, '57 ford custom 300 with a 351 ford motor. they both sat just right with good attitude) whenever i had one coil cut i never had a problem with re-alignment. eaton springs which has a 2" lowering spring, for the '57, also told me one cut coil on a stock spring will give me the same drop, 2 inches, and stiffen the spring much like their spring. he wouldn't cut more than 1 coil, though, from the stock spring and they don't sell a lowering spring with more than 2 inch drop.

so, shopratwoody, how have you got your ranchero sitting so good?

boze

shopratwoody

Torino spindles, cut coils and blocks in the rear.
I have a bro that's been in Parker for about 40 yrs. On the river
of course. My Ranchero lived at the River for awhile.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

Frankenstein57

I've read a number of posts about using aerostar springs, the guys were getting some lowering,  without sacrificing ride. I have a article bookmarked that I saw on the HAMB, but I can't figure out how to forward it. Mark

tarheel57

Shopratwoody your ranchero sits great.how much did you cut from your coils? Do most people cut full rounds or can you cut 1/2 round at a time? Tarheel57 :burnout:

deucekoop

Hey im in the process of lowering my retractable front end. Can you tell. me where to get the dropped spindles

RICH MUISE

Great to see a lot of new guys posting this week...welcome to all of you. Dropped spindles..Fatman makes dropped spindles for the 57's..there a welded ass'y and a little pricey imho. Most of the guys, including myself have done the dropped spindles at the same time as disc brake conversion. The kit is available thru drop 'n stop and you won't find a whole lot of difference in price between fatman's spindles and drop 'n stops complete kit including rotors and calipers.They use reworked Granada spindles. Dave at drop 'n stop is real good at answering questions.I have a pic posted in the Gallery..in "under construction" of the setup. Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

boze

deucekoop,

go to drop n stop   www.dropnstop.com    or fatman fabrications for dropped spindles.
in either case you're going to have to install disc brakes as that's what the spindles require.
the discs can be bought from both.

Zapato

Do a search for Bob Lewis bracket racing on his site he covers the 75-80 Granada/Monarch spindle swap and has a complete list of parts needed to complete. I effectively drops the front 2 inches and is a disc brake conversion with easy to source parts at the same time.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Found it     http://home.comcast.net/~robert.lewis23/disc.htm
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72