News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

whats the difference!

Started by tarheel57, 2010-10-19 20:41

Previous topic - Next topic

tarheel57

On a custom 300 I have heard that the 6cyl. cars have a different coil spring in the front than the V8 cars,is this true? If so what is the difference,is it a shorter spring or a softer spring? If this is true wouldnt using a set of 6cyl. springs let the front of the car sit a little lowerwith a V8 in it? Thanks,Tarheel57.

RICH MUISE

I would think a softer spring would give the same effect as a worn out spring...too much leaning in corners and more bottoming out.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

tarheel57

Im using the Fatman 3" dropped spindle,but was wondering if switching to a 6cyl. spring might give me just a little more drop.I have all my front suspension off the frame,so now would be the time to change it if it would make a difference.I too have heard that cutting the coil will change the geometry of the front end.Fatman Fabercations also clames this. Tarheel57

canadian_ranchero

the model 70 and 73 use the same front springs.6cyl b7a-5310-n the v/8 b7a-5310-p.the specifications [from a 1957 ford service letter]the N is bar dia..693,rate lbs/in 400.load lbs 2125,loaded height 9.60".the P is bar dia..693,rate lbs/in 400.load lbs 2225,loaded height 9.60".looking at these numbers,i only see the load lbs being 100 lbs different.maybe try put 100 lbs on the front of the car,[find another 57 to try it on] that will tell you how much the 6cyl spring should lower the car 

KidKourier

Just a thought-- what's the weight difference between the 6 cyl. and V8 all else being equal? KID

RICH MUISE

don't know about y-block weights, but just as a reference since it was brought up..the old heavy 6 cyl. weighs about the same as the alum. 4.6 dohc with aftermarket air and all the power goodies.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

the information i have,the 6cyl around 500lbs,the v/8 650lbs

boze

hey 57s,

check out the responses and info to my "lowering the front end".

boze