News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New here first post. Rear brake question

Started by st.rod, 2010-10-20 19:25

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

imaflashman, just two passenger side hoses, or brake assemblies?  I noticed that Crown Vic rear brakes use the same ass'y for both sides, with one caliper in front, the other in rear.  Are the Explorer parts both in front or both in rear, or are they like the CV parts?  I havent really paid that much attention to the Explorer parts, since I didnt thnk the bolt pattern would work.  Armed with this new information, I may raid my local pull-a-part...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

iamflashman

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2011-01-26 21:41
imaflashman, just two passenger side hoses, or brake assemblies?  I noticed that Crown Vic rear brakes use the same ass'y for both sides, with one caliper in front, the other in rear.  Are the Explorer parts both in front or both in rear, or are they like the CV parts?  I havent really paid that much attention to the Explorer parts, since I didnt thnk the bolt pattern would work.  Armed with this new information, I may raid my local pull-a-part...

Just two passenger side hoses.  Get both the LH and RH assemblies. 

1957 Ford Convertible 428CJ/Tremec TKO
1957 Ford Ranch Wagon 5.0L EFI/AOD - sold :(
1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone
1958 Edsel Bermuda

1957 ________________ Ford
\___((_______________))___/
(@)________V__________(@)
[________I_____I_________]
__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___

iamflashman

I installed a set yesterday (I will post some pictures hopefully next week)

I had forgotten that the wheel studs will be too short once you put the rotor on the axle.  You need longer wheel studs.  My brother gave me the part # Dorman 610-379 for the correct wheel studs.

The steps I did yesterday:

1. Take off old drum stuff including hard lines.

2. Slot the explorer backing plates to bolt onto the rearend housing.  Mine is a big bearing housing so I had to first drill out the holes to 1/2" and then slot them with a die grinder.

3. For big bearing only: You have to cut the axle bearing retainer plate flat across the bottom to fit inside the emergency brake.  This is no big deal since you have the axle out already.  Just make the bottom match the top.

4. You will need longer axle bolts.  I just get new bolt 1 3/4" inch 1/2" bolts (for big bearing) and then ground one side flat to match the originals and used lock washers and nuts.  I use the grade 8 stuff just to be safe.

5. Bolt the axles back in

6. Put the rotors and calipers on .

7. Put the brake hoses on

8. Dril and tap holes to bolt down the brake hoses.

9. make hard lines from the original y

10. Bleed the brakes

11. Put wheels back and enjoy!
1958 Edsel Bermuda

iamflashman

Also, for emergency brakes, you can either use the explorer ends and clamp them to the 57 brake cables or...

I just make new ones by buying a 3" u-joint from home depot, drilling a hole in the middle, and folding it over the 57 ford cable ends.
1958 Edsel Bermuda

JPotter57

What kind of master cylinder do you use for 4 wheel disks, and which side do the lines come out on?  Good info here..I love it...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

iamflashman

Here are a couple of pictures of a 57 Ford housing with explorer brakes installed.  These particular set is installed on a small bearing rearend but they fit equally well on a big bearing one.

Notice the two passenger side hoses used with original y-block.

1957 Ford - Explorer Brakes by iamflashman, on Flickr

1957 Ford - Explorer Brakes by iamflashman, on Flickr
1958 Edsel Bermuda

iamflashman

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2011-01-31 14:29
What kind of master cylinder do you use for 4 wheel disks, and which side do the lines come out on?  Good info here..I love it...

The regular granada 2 wheel disc one works fine with an adjustable proportioner valve.

I get mine from Dennis at www.discbrakeswap.com.  He sells them at a good price.  If you get one from him, make sure to mention this site and that James sent you.

The ports exit the LH side of the master cylinder.
1958 Edsel Bermuda

RICH MUISE

great info...what year explorers are we talking about?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

iamflashman

To be honest, not really sure the exact year range.  I usually look for ones that are in that circa '96 body style.  You can tell by looking at the brakes if they are the ones because the ones from earlier years don't look the same.
1958 Edsel Bermuda

Ford Blue blood

I believe those to be 95 - 01.  Might be newer years will work as well but the 95 - 01 have all the correct stuff....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rovohn

Will this setup work with 14 inch rims?
Cheers,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

RICH MUISE

I believe they, or any disc conversion, will not work with our oem 14 wheels. I understand however, if you can find Ford 14" rims that were on a car that had oem disc brakes, those wheels MAY work on SOME disc brakes. My guess is they would not work on the explorer
discs though, and I've read they are almost imposible to find anyways since very few factory cars had 14" wheels and disc brakes.

rovohn

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-02-02 21:53
I believe they, or any disc conversion, will not work with our oem 14 wheels. I understand however, if you can find Ford 14" rims that were on a car that had oem disc brakes, those wheels MAY work on SOME disc brakes. My guess is they would not work on the explorer
discs though, and I've read they are almost imposible to find anyways since very few factory cars had 14" wheels and disc brakes.

I kinda figured that,I really don't want to 15 in as I bought new tires last August and I really like the chrome reverse rims I have on the car now,ah well such is life!
John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

RICH MUISE

Chrome reversed are not oem, so maybe you have a chance, except in my old age I don't remember if the reversed rims moved the wheel in or out. If out, then a better chance they'll work, if moved in, most certainly won't work as one of the clearance issues with the small rims is clearing the caliper.

lalessi1

I have 14" Ford rim (not a '57) for the spare tire, I wanted a Firestone bias ply original type tire for the look. My wheel fits the Wilwood disc brakes I have on the front.
Lynn