News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering Column

Started by lotsafords, 2010-10-25 14:41

Previous topic - Next topic

lotsafords

Anyone have experience installing a Ford tilt column in a 57?  Not sure what years may work.  Would have to be from a floor shift car preferably without a key in the column.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jack

RICH MUISE

I did, but the way I went probably won't be of any help to you as I was reshaping my dash, so the fact that I had to cut 5" out of my lower dash to make room mfor it didn't matter. I used a '97 Mustang tilt column/wheel. look in the gallery section, in "under construction" my pics start on the second row, and somewhere in there is a pic of the tilt column attached to the '57 main bracket. note the allthread and swivel bolts where it attached gives me full adjustment. As I said, it probably won't help you as I am guessing you're probably after an earlier model t-bird or the like that would be more vintage than what I was looking for.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

i test fitted a tilt column out of a 68 t-bird.with some small changes to the horn contacts and some triming the 57 steering wheel will fit.now this column has a shifter and no key.if you want one with no shifter,try look for a late 60's mustang or couger.or you could modify the bird one to remove the shifter