News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

small stuff

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-10-30 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I've been rounding up all my small odds-'n-ends for sandblasting and prime/paint and running into several things I would like to replace if I can, because it would probably be cheaper buying new than replating. Does anyone know of a source for the main attaching bolt for the radiator support? Also there is a thick (1/2") non-metalic washer/spacer that goes on the assembly that's so hard I can't believe it was rubber but may have been before petrification set in. Anyone know what the material is suppose to be?
What's the best type of plating, short of chrome, to put on steel parts as far as protection from the elements...Cadium??
I would like to replace the encapsulated square nuts that are on the hood hinge and also on the cowl for the fender bolts. Any sources for these? They are a square nut with a sheetmetal clip attached that fit into the rectangular holes allowing for some movement.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

check with a body shop supply store,they should have the nuts.concours has the rad support pads,check with carpenter also

glen b henderson

Rich, I think the rad support bolt can be found at most bolt supply stores. The caged nuts are another story, if you find a source let me know. I blasted my stuff and painted it with POR 15.
Freedom is not Free

geraldchainsaw

tell me what u mean by caged nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,  i have a place near me that has everything in nuts & bolts,     its called Ackme & bolt, near Detroit,  they
have  ever let me down yet,  let me know & i'll check them out,     jerry

JPotter57

where do you guys get good blasting sand?  The last 3 bags I have bought have been unusable, lots of rocks that clog up my blaster.  I need fine sand and the stuff they sell for blasting here is apparently for industrial blasters with an outlet the size of a vacuum cleaner hose.  Any good sources?
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

James'
I used to buy sand for sand boxes for the big blasters and glass bead from H.F. for the bead blaster cabinet. :004:
I hate blocksanding!

canadian_ranchero

i picked up a assortment of the caged nuts at a nut/bolt place for about $30

RICH MUISE

James...I buy my blasting sand at a construction supply yard. They carry it in about 6 or 8 grits. I use #4 for a really nice finish. costs about 15. for a 100# bag. Sandblasting is used by comercial painters repainting old stuff so it is very common to find it even in lumber yards sometimes. Just make sure you ask for sandblasting sand and not play sand...as I mentioned it will be bagged by grit size.  also check your local yellow pages for sandblasting supplies.   Rich  I've gone thru about 1400 lbs in the last 4 or 5 years...took me 600 # to do the underside of my car outside where I couldn't recoup a lot of it.

shopratwoody

If you use any Silica sand be careful and use a respirator. Ask me
how I know. I've followed the blasters with a spray gun priming
things as large as school bleachers. If it's small stuff just use a cabinet with glass. Much cleaner and more efficient. I just hooked up a
shop vac to the cabinet for the exhaust.
I hate blocksanding!

shopratwoody

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-10-31 12:36
i picked up a assortment of the caged nuts at a nut/bolt place for about $30
I bought all new captivated or caged nuts for the fenders and radiator
at a industrial hardware store. The had all sizes of everthing from
s.s to grade 8.
I hate blocksanding!

wv 57s forever

places that sell landscape stone for driveways, or decorative stone usually sell sand blast sand.

Bubba

Rich:
Nuts, bolts, fasteners and other Fiddly Bits can be had form
http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
I have their catalog and have been able to find everything from cagenuts to whatever.
Give them a try!!
BuBBa

Bubba

More...
They have every size of cage nut that I needed for my 63A.
Also have wire clips, rubber products, etc...
BuBBa

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the website. I'll add it to the website links   Rich

RICH MUISE

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2010-10-31 09:55
tell me what u mean by caged nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,  i have a place near me that has everything in nuts & bolts,     its called Ackme & bolt, near Detroit,  they
have  ever let me down yet,  let me know & i'll check them out,     jerry
Jerry...I meant to reply earlier and forgot. A caged nut is a nut,usually square, that has a sheetmetal outer "Wrapping" that loosely encapsulates the nut. allowing it to float while the sheetmetal holds it in place.  Thanks for the offer of checking your local shop..I found some on line that's what I need...Thanks to Bubba's source...and still haven't checked my local bolt company.