News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE Engine with 3 Deuce Manifold

Started by Bubba, 2010-11-29 13:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Bros:
This question is directed at anyone out there who is running an FE engine with a 3X2 intake.
Before I go ahead and bolt the 3X2 OEM Ford [from a 406] intake on my 428CJ engine, I was wondering if I will have any hood clearance problems on my 63A? 
Thanks
BuBBa

wildhog

BUBBA, HOOD CLEARANCE SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM, THE PROBLEM IS THE CLEARANCE FROM THE REAR CARB AND OVAL 406 STYLE AIR CLEANER AND THE HOOD RELEASE . TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

shopratwoody

As Tom said. I removed the hood latch mech and put hood pins
in mine when it had Dual Quad 427. I was racing it then and
didn't care about the holes. Welded them up years later.
Can't recall if I cut that orig style aircleaner top or not with the
latch gone.FWIW the T-Bird tri power was lower if I remember
right
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

Bubba

Thanks Bros:
I was planning on using three of the old school style finned aluminum rectangular air cleaners, so clearing the hood latch may not be a problem if the 406 style aircleaner is the cause of the clearance problem. If the three air cleaners don't solve the clearance issue, then the hood pins are a good solution.
Thanks for the advice.
BuBBa

Ford_Crazy

The 428 CJ was a medium riser and the Ford 6V manifold was a low riser with slightly different ports.  You will have a mismatch, but it works fine.  Some people go to the trouble to open up and rework the ports but I suspect you are doing it for the looks.  The firewall clearance with the air cleaner is the only problem.  My buddy is running one and he had to modify the air cleaner.  Very cool setup.  :001:

Bubba

Bros:
Thanks for all the most excellent advice!!
I had an Email discussion with one of my favorite 57 Ford and FE Engine Gurus, who ran an R code FE in a 57 Custom 300.  He overcame the aircleaner-hood latch interference problem by using offset aircleaner mounting studs for the aircleaner.  The offset stud moves the rear of the aircleaner further forward and it then clears the hood latch.
BuBBa