News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Updating the stock radio

Started by jimg, 2010-12-05 07:33

Previous topic - Next topic

jimg

Good morning
I am a new member to your club. I just bought my first collector car a 57 fairlane 500. Been a 57 nut for years.
I want to update the radio but want to keep the stock appearance.
I am looking at the RadiRad system that converts it?s inputs to an AM broadcast to play over the existing radio.
My question is has anyone used this system and would they recommend it or is there another solution that will work better
thanks

JimNolan

Jimg,
   I had my Town and Country Radio converted to AM/FM by a place in Wisconson I think ( forget the name now ). Anyway, I watched the video by RediRad and it was impressive for the money. I would think that it would be better suited for the younger person. The reason I say that is because at my age I don't want to know what an IPod or MP3 player is. If it takes my hands off the wheel or gearshift longer than it takes to light my cigarette I don't want to fool with it.
   The RediRad looks like it would be best suited for use while you were sitting still. I've honked my horn at drivers trying to use a cell phone at a stop light, and I've had people wonder what I was doing wondering all over the road while I was trying to use mine. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Frankenstein57

I would bet the sound quality would not be to good, sounds like you want to retain the stock am radio. If you don't mind changing the look, check out custom auto sound. They have alot of options which can go in without altering the dash. On my 58, I opened the hole and installed a modern radio, I figure its my car why do I worry about what the next owner might want. And besides the chrome trim will cover up the alteration if I feel the need to return it to stock. Some have hidden the radio in the glove box or under the seat, and use a remote.  Good luck, Mark

JimNolan

Frankenstein57,
   You've got a real good point when it comes to ( It's your car why worry about what the next owner wants ). When I restored mine I wanted everything to be just right. I even put the original seat belt brackets in it at a cost you wouldn't believe. I eventually found out most of the car shows you go to is judged by a 18 year old punk or a guy who wouldn't know what was suppose to be in your car to begin with. I can call mine pure stock at most places and they wouldn't know the difference. IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT YOU WANT IN YOUR CAR. IT'S YOUR MONEY AND TIME. So Jimg, if you like it, go for it. As far as anyone having used the RediRad, I doubt you'll find many. It looks like it is a newer item anyway. Jim

RICH MUISE

Jim...I'm with you 100% on the new tech stuff. With my modified dash an original style radio would look out of place...but try to find a new aftermarket radio that an old guy can actually see the tiny buttons and is easy to use is almost imposible. Why is it when the new cars come from the factory they are user friendly with big buttons and big digital readouts, but none of the aftermarket stuff is like that??? I think I'll end up pulling a factory unit out of a newer car to build into my console. am-fm with a  cd player, 4 good but small speakers  and I'll be a happy camper.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Rich,
  Ya know, I hadn't thought about it before but my Silverado has a CD player and I control that radio just fine. It has big buttons that you can see without your reading glasses, you can change from am/fm with no trouble and if you want to set a station you just push a big number button for 3 or 4 seconds and it's set.   For 30 years I made a living in Industrial Electronics by being compontent level capable, so technology doesn't really intimidate me. But having to screw with something for 5 minutes just to hear a song would. Jim

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-12-05 09:07
Why is it when the new cars come from the factory they are user friendly with big buttons and big digital readouts, but none of the aftermarket stuff is like that???

Could it be because they are made by little people?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

hji guys,  just my 2 cents worth,     i had the orig radio restored, works great,  but only to use if i go to a car show that want it to be everything to be original,  that said,  i  have a digital remote CD modern radio,   1st i mounted it under the dash,   thought well that looks crummy,  so i changed it and put it in the glove box with a couple of gages,   got tired of always having to rreach across the seat when driving to open and close the glove box, crumy also,   so its back under the dash over the trans hump,  now theres no problems

RICH MUISE

Has anybody seen an oem radio, 90's or 00's with a faceplate and buttons other than black?

Ford Blue blood

NO....but thinking.....I know, shouldn't do too much of that......the 93 F-150 might be close to fitting?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

shopratwoody

I am happy with my custom auto sound unit. Fits the dash
correctly and has 200 watts.Plug in the mp3 for many hrs of music.
I hate blocksanding!

RICH MUISE

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-12-06 18:49
Has anybody seen an oem radio, 90's or 00's with a faceplate and buttons other than black?
I forgot to mention  it'll be going into my console which hasn't had the openings cut yet, so it doesn't need to fit the dash.
Shoprat..do you have a pic of your unit...does it have big buttons?

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Rich:

Here are a couple of photos of my Custom Auto Sound radio installation, one shot while under construction (no knobs), the other from the other side after the cars interior was completed.  I'm not sure if my radio is the same as Ron's, mine has a 12 disc CD player mounted in the trunk

Bob
57 AGIN
    &
4.6 SHLB

lotsafords

I have the custom auto sounds unit without cassette but with ipod & mp3 plug in my 57 chero alone with the enhanced stero speaker located in the original hole.  I also have the RediRad in my 66 Bird with enhanced speakers front and rear, it works really well and is totally invisible inside the console.
Jack